Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP CME, how well does it flow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP CME, how well does it flow?

My car has the factory SLP center mount exhaust.

I have been told this muffler is very restrictive, should I consider upgrading?

Does anyone have any experience or statistics on flow #s for comparison?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

I dont have any dyno numbers for my LM without the CME but I can feel a HUGE difference in the lack of back pressure like the car just doesnt want to accelerate under 4000 RPM although it screams. Makes the car kinda stupid. Once the 90deg bend pipes goes it the back pressure came back and it felt faster than stock. I dynoed that setup. Check Sig.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Junkie

The CME is nice looking-but just too many restrictive bends...a cutout will take care of that at the track, though.... WJ
Old 01-04-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

I agree. If you have the CME, install a cutout at the I-pipe for a few extra HP when you need it.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Whats the most it could hurt... 5 hp? Who cares it looks GREAT!! Thats how i feel.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 35thls1ss19
Whats the most it could hurt... 5 hp? Who cares it looks GREAT!! Thats how i feel.
All depends how serious you are about winning races, I guess. "The Look" is more important to some than going fast....It's all about what floats your boat. WJ
Old 01-04-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I only gain 5hp going with my cutout over my GMMG-CME setup. Where are the 5hp lost at: the GMMG or the massive amount of bends that the CME adds?
Old 01-04-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

While the car was on the dyno it was plugging up the air fuel meter tube with the packing material from the muffler. I have a QTP cut out but havn't installed it yet since the car is in the shop.

thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

the CME wont restrict enough air flow to make you loose any race....pesonally, that would depend on who'z behind the wheel........thats like saying you lost a race because you havent replaced your stock paper filter "but wait until i get my kn...!"

I have the quad tip and i cant tell you how much i love it.......the tone, looks...and yes, without it, the exhaust feels to "open" and you need to give more stay up.....oh wait a minute...just like a cutout right?

hehehe j/k im not trying to mess with anyone but saying that a CME will make you loose a race is compared to an identical Z but without is "incorrect" The flow numbers wont hurt you at all and the backpressure created byt ht bends will come inhandy when cruising which is where we spend most of our realistic time.......well for the exception of guys like harlan...can you imagine busting a wheelie on the street? you could spend your time crushing imports like monster truck!!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm starting to realize more and more that people on these boards will often say something that they may have heard somewhere, and then go quoting it themselves as the gospel, regardless of whether or not there was any proof of the original claim.

Honestly...restrictive bends in the CME? It can't be any more restrictive than running pipes over the axle, the bends coming out of something like a GMMG, etc. Until someone provides proof, you know, like a back to back, nothing changed but the CME tips dyno, then you'll never convince me.

And yes, I have the CME mated to my true duals.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'm starting to realize more and more that people on these boards will often say something that they may have heard somewhere, and then go quoting it themselves as the gospel, regardless of whether or not there was any proof of the original claim.

Honestly...restrictive bends in the CME? It can't be any more restrictive than running pipes over the axle, the bends coming out of something like a GMMG, etc. Until someone provides proof, you know, like a back to back, nothing changed but the CME tips dyno, then you'll never convince me.

And yes, I have the CME mated to my true duals.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

the CME wont restrict enough air flow to make you loose any race....pesonally, that would depend on who'z behind the wheel........thats like saying you lost a race because you havent replaced your stock paper filter "but wait until i get my kn...!"

I have the quad tip and i cant tell you how much i love it.......the tone, looks...and yes, without it, the exhaust feels to "open" and you need to give more stay up.....oh wait a minute...just like a cutout right?

hehehe j/k im not trying to mess with anyone but saying that a CME will make you loose a race is compared to an identical Z but without is "incorrect" The flow numbers wont hurt you at all and the backpressure created byt ht bends will come inhandy when cruising which is where we spend most of our realistic time.......well for the exception of guys like harlan...can you imagine busting a wheelie on the street? you could spend your time crushing imports like monster truck!!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

oops!!