Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can an LS6 intake install cause pinging/knock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Can an LS6 intake install cause pinging/knock?

I had my LS6 intake and an ASP underdrive pulley (crank pulley only) and belts installed last week and everything feels/runs perfectly. No dyno tuning done though.
On Saturday I happened to 'open it up' a bit with a short impromptu stoplight race with a Cobra and I heard a slight pinging at the upper rev ranges. I tried to duplicate it later on that night and it didn't seem to happen again, or at least I couldn't hear it.
My question is, is it possible that the intake change through off the tuning that much as to actually change the A/F ratio that radically?
And if so is it possible that the computer already 'learned it out'/corrected it so to speak and that's why it only happened once?
Removed EGR and AIR as well which I know could be a factor.
I doubt it's the pulley (newer style ASP, stock timing chain, stock internals/exhaust too for that matter) but those were the only two changes made to the car other than a Hawker lightweight battery.
I want to race the car if the track is open this weekend but don't want to hurt the motor.
Not sure if this really belongs in the 'tuning section' or not.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

My LS6 intake didn't do a damn thing but bump my hp a little. No ping/knock. It IS possible your computer learned it already, but I doubt it caused much of anything in the first place.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

The intake might have affected your a/f enough, but so could deleting the EGR. If so the PCM might/should learn it away. But you could also have done something to the knock sensors or wires when you installed the manifold.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
The intake might have affected your a/f enough, but so could deleting the EGR. If so the PCM might/should learn it away. But you could also have done something to the knock sensors or wires when you installed the manifold.
Ok thanks. We were pretty careful with the knock sensors during install but I am wondering if that talk of EGR and air/valve overlap etc that I read recently could be something...I will be road testing it again on Friday if it's dry out, hopefully no pinging.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone else experience anything like this?