Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock CME headers and catted Y Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Stock CME headers and catted Y Questions

Hello all, ok I've used the search and read many threads but I still do not have the answer I'm looking for. I want to buy either Kooks or QTP headers and their cooresponding catted y pipe to install in my 2001 SLP CME SS. My questions are:

1. Will the Y (kooks or QTP) connect to directly to the SLP cat back "I" pipe without fabrication, i.e. just a band clamp?
2. Does anyone have a similar setup, or an alternate setup (I want to keep the CME at least for now) and how does it sound?
3. I have not determined for sure if I need cats, since emmision testing is through OBD2 connection here in Missouri, but might drone or raspyness be a problem if i go non catted ORY?

Thanks for any help or advice here.

Mike
Old 01-10-2005, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. yes, it should, but you might want to check that the I pipe is 3". The merge on the Y is 3".

2. & 3. If you have the SLP dual/dual muffler it will sound good with or without cats. It will be pretty close to stock sounding with cats, considerably louder with out. A freind of mine is running that setup (LT's ORY & SLP dual/dual) and it sounded good, not too raspy at all. Pretty much every state that does inspection does visual (along with the OBDII) that you will fail w/o cats. If they want to they can fail you for moving the cats from their stock location. I've only ever heard of that happening in CA though.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

The header installation will not affect the CME. It sounds a little deeper but still fairly quiet by most aftermarket catback standards. I'm pretty sure you will need a new Y-pipe.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have the CME then your I pipe is 3" in diameter. I am running the QTP catted Y pipe and it comes with the 4" to 3" Flowmaster merge collector which adds length to the Y pipe and you will need to cut a small section off the 3" I pipe to make the merge fit perfectly. Other than that it bolts up fine to the I pipe. I used to run my setup with LT's ORY @ the CME and it was great, a little rasp in the 2200-2800rpm range but not as bad as other mufflers out there......Magnaflow, GMMG, Corsa etc.... With a catted Y it will sound very tame. Close to stock even with the longtubes.

LS1sounds.com is your friend.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you say alternate setup?

Now before that, I had a Kooks catted-y, originally into my SLP dual/dual, which didn't fit all that well. I had to have it all welded up to get it sealed right. I then got a Hooker, and had it welded in place.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Very nice!