Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Deciding

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help Deciding

I'm turning 16 soon and cannot decide what parts I wanna get for my birthday. I have a '00 SS with a magnaflow catback, and was thinking about headers, ORY and a cutout. The problem is I am hearing alot of mixed reviews of how the magnalow sounds after headers and ory. I wanna make it louder, but at the same time it is gonna be my daily driver and cannot be too loud. I want the cutout because my school hates loud cars and i wanna open it up and **** them off. Anyways, I need some ideas for good mods to do, if I should go ahead and get headers, or get a hotcam and leave the headers, or appearance, etc.

What mods did everyone else do first??? Thanks alot in advance.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Forgot something, if I got headers and left the stock y pipe on there, would it just bolt together? How would it sound? I hate asking all these questions but I am on a tight budget and dont wanna regret anything. If i bought a hotcam and headers, would that be better than headers and ory?(sound and performance)
Old 01-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not too sure you'd like the sound of the Magnaflow with an ORY, but that is just my opinion. I'm in the process of a very slow and deliberate buildup of my SS. Power wise, I went with headers, but I'm running a custom true dual setup to keep from having the rasp that no cats usually gets you.

If you want power, definitely get the headers. With that exhaust, I'd recommend a catted-y pipe. Since you have a 2000, I'd also recommend looking into an LS6 intake.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by hrsepwraddict00
Forgot something, if I got headers and left the stock y pipe on there, would it just bolt together? How would it sound? I hate asking all these questions but I am on a tight budget and dont wanna regret anything. If i bought a hotcam and headers, would that be better than headers and ory?(sound and performance)
Definitely time to start researching this one. The stock y-pipe will in no way fit a set of headers. You are either gonna have to get an off the shelf one, which is a crap shoot, or get one custom fabbed. Either way, you'd best put that into your budget. If you are on a tight budget, you'd probably best stay away from a cam swap. Yeah, cams don't cost much by themselves, but their supporting pieces (like gaskets, valve springs, etc) start adding up FAST.

Just because you see a set of headers for $300 doesn't mean that you'll end up only paying $300 in the end. If you have some shop skills, you'll be able to install them, but if you get cheaper headers, their fit will NOT be guaranteed. You may end up having to grind some things to get them to clear. Then there are a lot of issues with banging y-pipes, etc...the list goes on and on.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have magnaflow and an ory, and it is loud. Defenitely go with a catted y to make it quieter. I really like the way mine sounds, but everyone has there own opinion. To do headers, (other than shorties which suck) you will need a new y pipe, or a duals setup which in most cases is loud though. With the hotcam and headers, would make more power than just headers, but adding a cam is whole different discussion. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Just because you see a set of headers for $300 doesn't mean that you'll end up only paying $300 in the end. If you have some shop skills, you'll be able to install them, but if you get cheaper headers, their fit will NOT be guaranteed. You may end up having to grind some things to get them to clear. Then there are a lot of issues with banging y-pipes, etc...the list goes on and on.
Good point. I bought used jet-hots for $350, but in the end cost me like $900 for everything the way I wanted it.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 01TAFlyer
Good point. I bought used jet-hots for $350, but in the end cost me like $900 for everything the way I wanted it.
Oh man...I started off with Kooks headers (~$850), and I've spent about $2300 total getting everything the way I want it. And I'm still tying up loose ends.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am thinking of going for the Pacesetter LT's $375, and a catted y-pipe. Where's the best place to buy a catted y that will bolt to the pacesetters and magnaflow? I saw the new one on Texas Speed's website, will it work though? I didnt specify how loud i want it though, i wanna be noticed, but i dont want the raspy sound and a rough idle. I want a smooth sound, but i want it to scream when i get on it. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hrsepwraddict00
I am thinking of going for the Pacesetter LT's $375, and a catted y-pipe. Where's the best place to buy a catted y that will bolt to the pacesetters and magnaflow? I saw the new one on Texas Speed's website, will it work though? I didnt specify how loud i want it though, i wanna be noticed, but i dont want the raspy sound and a rough idle. I want a smooth sound, but i want it to scream when i get on it. Thanks for the reply.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/225352-tsp-new-catted-y-pipe.html

If at all possible listen to some setups before buying.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses........I would still like some input.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

I just picked up a set of the Pacesetters & the TSP ORY for my 01 SS.
They look great. I spent under $600 for the headers, Y pipe, o2 extensions, gaskets, hardware. You'll end up spending a little more with the catted Y.
If my car was a daily driver I would have considered going with stainless headers like Kooks. Be sure to read the exhaust mod guide, there's some great info in there.