Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear main seal clarification

Old 01-14-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear main seal clarification

I know it's been asked a million times but the archives are split on the procedure. Some say it's best to have the GM tool. Others say you can easily do it with just a block of wood. I want to do this once, do it right and do it easily. So is the tool good or worthless? Better than the block of wood method?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the only way to MAKE SURE that the seal is in there perfectly straight is with the correct tool. I have gotten lucky many times by using the "block of wood" method and being VERY careful but the law of averages is going to catch up with you sooner or later and it'll leak like the Exxon Valdez........just when you don't have the time to re-do it!
Old 01-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Ozz
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the tool and it is BS in fact it did not make it straight and I had to finish up with the wood. I am 100% sure it only needs to be a block of wood and go easy to make it right.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used a block of wood on mine. Took out time. No leaks.

That works if you haven't removed the rear cover. If you have removed the rear cover though.. you need to realign it.

Search this Thread