Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best remedy for the PCV oil sucking problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best remedy for the PCV oil sucking problem?

Okay, I want to keep oil from being sucked through my PCV because I had big problems with this on my old LS1. About two years ago everyone was putting fuel filters in their PCV tubing. Most people seemed to like the "SMH mod." But then I read a lot about the filters restricting PCV flow and could lead to altered crankcase pressure that could be bad. I have been away from LS1's for a few years but I see now people are using a catch can. Is this regarded as the best remedy now? If the vacuum is strong enough couldn't you pull oil right through a gravity catch can? I'd like some input on this as I'm going to perform a PCV mod soon. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Launching!

The catch can seems to be the best mod out there if you want to stop oil consupmtion and retain your pcv. The most popualr and effective I would say would be the AMW can. Your gravity problem that your thinking of is solved with the AMW, its a great design which has notched inside walls to prevent oil climbing. The entrance is on the top of the can. The exit is on the side, which is part of a canister that screws into the bottom section like a real filter system. It also has like a drain basket and mesh strainer or steel wool material packed into that top cansiter so if it does suck oil it will seperate from the air stream and drain to the bottom. I know someone has a pic of the inside of it on here somewhere you just gotta find it. Your other route would be to completely remove the pcv system cap off the holes and run breathers on the oil cap valve cover and the hole in the rear driver side valve cover. If you do this YES you lose the benefit of the pcv vacuum....better sealing, less frequent oil changes, no messy breather etc...... I for one run breathers right now but I am soon switching to the catch can. Im tired of cleaning the breathers to prevent oil drips and I get a little bit of oil smell through my HVAC,also on (my frequent) oil changes I somewhat get that gasoline smell which Im assuming is from blowby. My vote is the pcv catch can setup for a daily driver/street/strip car, all out racer only race the car I would say go with breathers. GOOD LUCK

Last edited by santino04; 04-13-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

He basically summed it all up. I am using a AMW catch can, and have not regretted it. Last oil change (3K miles) I had about a half a shot size amount of oil in it. So it is definitely working. But I am still using oil somewhere....
Old 01-15-2005, 02:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys. catch can it is.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

anyone got pics of this setup? I just did my new motor install and was thinking of putting breathers in the pcv and oilfil on the VC's..I did my break in the other night and Ive got oil all over the firewall from the back of the cover..
Old 05-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Found a pic and infohere:
http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm
Old 05-18-2005, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Thanks alot..
Old 05-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Launching!

I have the AMW red catch can. I get about an ounce of oil out of it when I empty it. Its been well worth it in my book.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AMW is a ripoff imho, 160$ for something you can do yourself for under $20 with an air compressor line filter from home depot, i have this on the 5.0 and it catches a lotta oil (aftermarket lower intake, sucks like a damn hoover). so far no issues.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

you might also consider upgrading to the ls6 valley cover
Old 01-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Stanger88
AMW is a ripoff imho, 160$ for something you can do yourself for under $20 with an air compressor line filter from home depot, i have this on the 5.0 and it catches a lotta oil (aftermarket lower intake, sucks like a damn hoover). so far no issues.
I wouldn't say a rip-off, but it is expensive (they weren't always that much though). The air compressor line filters work, but usually fill up too fast, requiring keeping a constant eye on them which most people just don't like to do.

Either way...

And the LS6 valley cover won't cure it either...I still pull oil through.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

I saw another thread on here talking about using a PCV valve for an LS-era truck engine. It's not really a valve at all... it just has a hole through it. Whoever wrote this article said it solved his oil issue, and that GM was using the same part to remedy other engines with similar problems. He had the part numbers too, but I can't remember them and if I say that the search is down I'll get banned. But anywho, that's apparently a $6 fix, compared to a $160 fix.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Ric
I saw another thread on here talking about using a PCV valve for an LS-era truck engine. It's not really a valve at all... it just has a hole through it. Whoever wrote this article said it solved his oil issue, and that GM was using the same part to remedy other engines with similar problems. He had the part numbers too, but I can't remember them and if I say that the search is down I'll get banned. But anywho, that's apparently a $6 fix, compared to a $160 fix.
I've tried that as well, and that didn't solve the problem either. It also produces an annoying whistle.

I'm still experimenting with my car to figure this out, but even with the LS6 PCV, I still pull oil into my catch can.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Do a search through some of the oil discussions. I switched to 5w40, installed a catch can and the thing is clean! I need to go a bit longer to rule for sure but the 40 oil has helped others.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm thinking about going to 5w40 as well. I still get just as much in the catch can with the truck pcv valve as I did with the old one.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'm actually running Castrol GTX 10w40 right now (dino oil since I'm rinsing out Auto-Rx), and still get some oil in there. I'll be going to Amsoil next (5w40), so we'll see what happens.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Banned

IS this caused by blowby or shitty designe? I did a compression check on my 5.0 and all cylinders are within 5# of each otehr, that would mean good compression, no? no blowby(above normal)? Also, i think it is b/c i have an aftermarket intake, the PCV on our cars is in the lifter galley area at the rear of the intake, i think its just not baffled very well. Any ideas?
Old 01-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'm beginning to think mine is caused by blowby, but I think others that have had better luck with these mods might be fixing the shitty design.

The design is lacking, that's for sure though. But there are baffles in both valve covers that look just like the baffle in the LS6 Valley cover, and so far both designs have let oil come through. I'm currently trying different mounting positions of the stock-style PCV valves to see if that helps.

My catch can is staying put though. It pulls too much oil in to not use it on my car.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:02 PM
That's what she said...

All you guys who have the AMW can, do you realize that they up and DOUBLED their price OVERNIGHT? I understand that they have a kick *** product and they sponsor the board, but that is outrageous for what it is.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/428410-pics-greddy-catch-can-install-56k.html

Thats what i did about my oil problems. Only been on for almost 2 week, and havent got any oil in the SIGHTGLASS.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
All you guys who have the AMW can, do you realize that they up and DOUBLED their price OVERNIGHT? I understand that they have a kick *** product and they sponsor the board, but that is outrageous for what it is.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428410

Thats what i did about my oil problems. Only been on for almost 2 week, and havent got any oil in the SIGHTGLASS.
Yep...I got one of their first pieces, so I paid MUCH less than the going rate now.

Quick Reply: What's the best remedy for the PCV oil sucking problem?