Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car is messed up after the races..HELP ME PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy car is messed up after the races..HELP ME PLEASE!!

well after I went to the track on friday, my car has been running weird.
For one, when its cold and i give it gas to bring the idle down, the RPM's drop to ~450-500 and then searches for the idle. The volts gauge is also well past the 13v mark and when the idle drops, so does the power. The lights go dim and the car nearly dies.

2. at idle, it just bounces up and down between 850 and 1100 (idle is set at 975)

3. when driving and coming to a stop the car stays at 2000 rpms till im stopped and then begins to drop down very slowly.

4. Im also begininng to hear a few rattles and I also have a SES light. I will take it to AutoZone to get it read tomorrow since I have duty today and cant leave the ship. Any help is appreciated
Old 01-16-2005, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

I had this problem when my fuse for the maf and something else was out....It would almost die and then pick itself up to a high rpm and almost stall at stop lights.....I actually think it did a few times.....

Its worth a look I think....I get the exact fuse name for u, its under the hood
Old 01-16-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

thanks, id appreciate it!!
Old 01-16-2005, 11:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Could be MAF related. Could also be a vacuum leak. Do you have access to a vacuum gage? Definitally get that code scanned and see what it is, hopefully it'll lead you right to the problem. But in the mean time you could try this:

Check all the air bellow clamps around the MAF and throttle body. Make sure everything is tight. Makes sure your PCV line AND freash air line (this is the one that runs from the top if the TB to the passenger side valve cover) is plugged in properly, and maybe check the EGR tube connection going into the intake for proper sealing. You can squrit a little carb cleaner around these areas with the motor running and if the idle changes noticablly when doing that, then that is where you will find a leak.....

Good luck.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Could be MAF related. Could also be a vacuum leak. Do you have access to a vacuum gage? Definitally get that code scanned and see what it is, hopefully it'll lead you right to the problem. But in the mean time you could try this:

Check all the air bellow clamps around the MAF and throttle body. Make sure everything is tight. Makes sure your PCV line AND freash air line (this is the one that runs from the top if the TB to the passenger side valve cover) is plugged in properly, and maybe check the EGR tube connection going into the intake for proper sealing. You can squrit a little carb cleaner around these areas with the motor running and if the idle changes noticablly when doing that, then that is where you will find a leak.....

Good luck.
i will try doing that...thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Have u gotten that code read? I forgot about the fuse Ill check in a few if i remember.