Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Stock Manifolds and y-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Removing Stock Manifolds and y-pipe?

I'm going to do the swap out to my Edlebrocks this weekend and would like to know if anyone has tried just unbolting the Manifolds and droping the whole set-up out from under the car. I have access to a lift (military guy's are lucky to have a craft shop) and am wondering if this is possible. It would definitely save time installing them.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's exactly how you do it.. from underneath the car.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if you could remove the manifolds and the y as one piece . . . .
Old 01-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you can get to all of the bolts on the driver's side, but it is that last passenger's bolt that is gonna kill you. I had to get the y-pipe out of the way so I could get up in there to work from the bottom. Give it a shot, but I think you'll end up dropping the y before you get the manifolds out. Make sure you have some good penetrating oil and your tetanus shots are up to date.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Richie....I've spent lots of time @ Sprockets....its nice to have those lifts huh? Up here @ the Naval JRB they have drive-on lifts, even better.

I say unbolt the stock manifolds from the car before you lift it....then once its up there you won't have to worry about it. Those bolts are the main PITA I encountered. Do yourself a favor if you're like me(65k miles) and get some new ones!!
Old 01-20-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sprockets has gone down hill since they privatised it. They don't have that many tools anymore and srimp excessively on the clean-up stuff. But I have my own tools so it's not too bad. I've already got the new hardware along with the LT and ORY. The way it looks I might be able to unbolt it all and maybe wiggle it out in one piece. If not then the Saw-Zall comes into play
Old 01-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Launching!

no, I tried it, you end up having to unbolt the y anyways to get the manifolds out. At least it didn't work for me, you may have more skill or luck than I did.