Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat won't fit??

Old 01-22-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Thermostat won't fit??

I am putting my car back together after installing a cam. The water pump was leaking so I bought a new GM water pump. I also got a 180 thermostat(aftermarket).

The problem is that the after market thermostat, and the old one in the old water pump for that matter, will not fit the new pump. The new pump has a smaller diameter hole in it. The new pump came with a new thermostat that obviously fits.

This new thermostat has a flat, wider rubber gasket. Not a o-ring like the older one or the aftermarket one.

So it comes down to:

A: carve out the new pump so the 180 fits. All I would need to do is file a couple of cuts into 180 degrees off. I am somewhat concerend this could leak though.

B: run the new factory thermostat that came with the pump.

I am really tempted to run the factory one as I doubt I will have leaking issues and it actually looks like a much better made piece. The new factory one has brass where the other has copper. The factory one also has a stainless steel c-clip where the aftermarket one is kind of mushed together.

Any thoughts????

Anyone know what the the factory thermostat temp is??

By the way I will be getting a tune so I could take advantage of the 180 therm.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, the new replacement pumps are different, the Hypertechs won't work. The new tstats are supposed to be 185 degrees.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Thank for the input. I checked the factory one and it does open at 185. I am going to use the factory one and send back the hypertech.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

GM updated all pumps to 2004 versions. you can get a low temp t-stat and housing from here: http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...TS%20PAGE.HTML towards the middle of the page.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks, I think that $80 for a thermostat to go 15 degrees is not worth it for me though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thermostat won't fit??