Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE(sensor)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE(sensor)

Its that top plug in sensor thing in the throttle body. My cars RPMS jumps between 400-900 RPMs while ideling, even going down the road if i let my foot of the gas and coast the idel is still messed up I took it out and the valve part has some type pf black grease/oil stuff on it, and my friend hooked my car up to dionostic machine he has, that reads numbers off alll the sensors on the car and everything. Everything was reading something BUT this sensor which read 0. When i unplug the sensor and crank it, the car "consistantly" idles at 2K rpms but the idle is consistant w/o it plugged in.

Are any of these signs this IAC valve needs to eb repalced. Its a $100-$120 part.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

if it reads 0 it has no control over idle do to a vaccum leak. the iac sensor works on counts, 0 counts means teh car is getting air by some other source.try lloking for a vaccum leak
Old 01-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MakoLS1

Its that top plug in sensor thing in the throttle body. My cars RPMS jumps between 400-900 RPMs while ideling, even going down the road if i let my foot of the gas and coast the idel is still messed up I took it out and the valve part has some type pf black grease/oil stuff on it, and my friend hooked my car up to dionostic machine he has, that reads numbers off alll the sensors on the car and everything. Everything was reading something BUT this sensor which read 0. When i unplug the sensor and crank it, the car "consistantly" idles at 2K rpms but the idle is consistant w/o it plugged in.

Are any of these signs this IAC valve needs to eb repalced. Its a $100-$120 part.

I used to have a 2000 S-10 that did the same thing. The sensor really isn't a sensor. The rod that you said had carbon deposits/oil on, is a moving part that controls the amount of air that is let into the intake to control the idle. I usually take mine out and clean it with throttle body cleaner to keep it moving smooth. Sounds like the IAC is not working. You can try and move the rod back into the valve body and plug it back in, start the car and see if the RPM's are "consistantly" holding another RPM. If they do, then it is definately not working. I would say get a new one.

Quick Reply: Question about IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE(sensor)