Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supermaxx headers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Supermaxx headers...

OK...so i searched and i can't really find anything bad about them. But since there's a GP going on right now i would really like it if some recent installs could put in some input. How would these compare to kooks or qtp? lesser or equal better? how are the flanges and how is the install? any problems? I can't figure out why more people aren't running these headers. I really like the idea of a SS y pipe and the price of the GP is awesome. so please, feel free to post up what you think!!
Old 01-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Well let me start by saying these headers are well made. They have thick flanges and are tig welded. The intall was pretty easy, everything fit perfect didnt have to take off the oil filter or anything else. There are no clearance issues, I think I have better clearance now than with the stock exhaust but Im not lowered. It also comes with everything you need. How they compare to Kooks or QTP Im sure the quality is just as good and performance should be close if all are running cats.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

everything he said.... easy install, great qualilty... not equal length but will deliver same performance as Kooks/QTP... Thunder sells off road swap out pipes for em too like the FLPs

Made 362/368 with supermaxx headers (and all th eother bolt ons...)
Old 01-26-2005, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

They look like a decent header, stainless is always nice and all but I still prefer the QTPs original and proven Grott design and better flowing/somewhat 'adjustable to fit perfectly' Y pipe.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
They look like a decent header, stainless is always nice and all but I still prefer the QTPs original and proven Grott design and better flowing/somewhat 'adjustable to fit perfectly' Y pipe.

Lol, how did i know that you were going to throw your vote in for qtp? (I've read a lot of your posts and I frequent the eastern section) Which i can't blame you and i live in NJ too, and have talked to barry and he's an awesome guy. But, i just can't get over the price for SS sytem and a stainless Y(stainless Y being awesome for NJ). Now, are there any dyno numbers showing that i'll get better power from a "grott" design...what is that by the way? and how is their y pipe better flowing? It looks to me that supermaxx has a nice merger, like a qtp pipe. Uggg....decisions decisions.... but i look foward to what you, and everybody else, has to say!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headers eh?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

it just might be so...we'll see
Old 01-27-2005, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

Smile

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
Now, are there any dyno numbers showing that i'll get better power from a "grott" design...what is that by the way? and how is their y pipe better flowing? It looks to me that supermaxx has a nice merger, like a qtp pipe. Uggg....decisions decisions.... but i look foward to what you, and everybody else, has to say!
All long tubes (except SLPs ) will generally make great power but some WILL show some slight gains over others.
Grott refers to one of the early long tube headers available for the LS1 F-body, made by a guy named Grottyohan (sp), and they did/do work.
As for the Y pipes, look at the long, nearly 90 degree turn that one driver's side pipe takes on the Supermaxx Y pipe, the QTP is a smoother transition. The bolt/flange versus slip fit/clamped set up is good for some people but it will also reduce ground and body clearance somewhat, the QTPs tuck up there quite nicely and don't hit the underside either. The merge on the Maxxs, though better than many others I've seen, is still quite restrictive with some funky directional changes/semi bottlenecks if you look inside and compare the two. Again these might be minute differences but mine being a bolt ons only car I want EVERY little bit of gain I can get.