Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in here running sidepipes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 08:08 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in here running sidepipes?

Can I get some PICTURES??!?!?!?!?!?!!?! Please?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

I dont think much people run side pipes due to clearance issues. But Dr gas makes some boom tubes.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Here is a pic.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

That's got to SUCK as far as performance is concerned. That doesn't even look like an inch tall.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1Maniac
That's got to SUCK as far as performance is concerned. That doesn't even look like an inch tall.
It also looks like the car is lowered also.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:24 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

*cough*exhaustguide*cough*
Old 01-28-2005, 10:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a joke right? That that you see is known as a "boom tube"....as in the same thing that NASCAR runs on their busch and winston cup cars. Trust me, a well set up boom tube system can not be outflowed, or out torqued
Old 01-29-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
That's a joke right? That that you see is known as a "boom tube"....as in the same thing that NASCAR runs on their busch and winston cup cars. Trust me, a well set up boom tube system can not be outflowed, or out torqued
Oh it can be outflowed easily. Just run open headers, you can't get better flow than that.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh it can be outflowed easily. Just run open headers, you can't get better flow than that.
Doubtful.....A well setup exhaust will actually flow enough cfm to lose little to no Hp, and actually gain TQ across the powerband
Old 01-29-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Doubtful.....A well setup exhaust will actually flow enough cfm to lose little to no Hp, and actually gain TQ across the powerband
Oh I'm not arguing the torque gains. I'm just saying, you can't flow better than open headers. It's simple physics, if you add more pipe reguardless of whether or not there is a muffler on the car it's going to disrupt the flow.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh I'm not arguing the torque gains. I'm just saying, you can't flow better than open headers. It's simple physics, if you add more pipe reguardless of whether or not there is a muffler on the car it's going to disrupt the flow.
I think I know where youre going with this, but its not necesarily the case. Ill try and explain another side of things.

Ever see a tractor trailer driving down the highway with snow blowing off it's roof? it gets caught in the vortices behind the trailer, right? Dumped open headers actually do something not unlike this. If they just dump, it creates all sorts of disruptions in the air. On the other hand, a boom tube expands genly as the exhaust dumps. This slows the exhaust as it gently releases it into the atmosphere causing less disturbance to the surrounding air. Its along the lines of how air flows faster over the top curved part of an airplane wing, and slower over the purfectly flat bottom. Or, how if you genly hold the curved portion of a spoon against running tap water, it will be sucked in. Certain curvatures will flow more than a straight line in this case. A boom tube has been engineered to do this, atleast on a NASCAR.

Real world gain by running a boom tube: NONE.

I highly doubt that anyone would even be able to detect a performance increase by running a boomtube over open headers. Infact, I doubt a dyno would even show a difference, as itll be well within its margin of error. However, this dosnt mean the gain dosnt exist.