Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Spark Plug Gains Horsepower!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Spark Plug Gains Horsepower!!

We meet a new spark plug manufacturer at the PRI show called Brisk. It was a very interesting design. A non gapped spark plug. And came in various configurations. I talked to them about the LS1 and they were looking to get some testing done with them. I told them i had a dyno session with GMHTP on my headers and i could swap out the plugs to see the gains.

Here is a picture of the plug.

So after we did our article with GMHTP on our headers i swapped out some NGK TR55 plugs(2000 miles old) and put these plugs in. And if anyone has not had the pleasure to swap plugs on a car on the dyno that is very hot, let me tell you it is not fun. Swap took a little over and hr.
Here is the dyno graph.

It was not a huge gain but the after run with the plugs was hotter and the engine was warmer.
Gains on other cars by Brisk where from 7hp to 15hp. Higher on the forced induction cars.
Any gain with a spark plug is good in my book.

I would like to try them on other cars but its not fun changing plugs on the dyno

I am not technical on spark plugs so i can only answer what i can. Ask me about exhaust and il talk your ear off

More info can be found about Brisk at http://www.briskusa.com

Price on the plugs are not cheap. There are $12.00 each. I am getting some in for some of our cars. If anyone is interested, i can get something going.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I take it that's a comparison with the stock plugs. Waht about a comparison with TR55s? I'll be changing mine soon for N2O. Do they have literature on that application?
(I did read the web page blurb)
Old 01-31-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He had the TR55's in before. Sounds awesome to me. How much are they?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am not understanding that graph very well, for one its in mph instead of rpm, why? another, why does the second run start and end ~3mph after the first run? also 4hp could easily be contributed to having new fresh plugs or even running hotter after the first run. i have always dynoed higher on my second run after warming up. either im blind or dumb, im just not understanding the benefit of $100 worth of spark plugs on our ls1, maybe there will be future dynos that might show better results, i see that most their vehicles are mustangs totally different vehicle. i prefer the traditional spark plug that i can choose my own gap to suit my ever changing needs. IMO.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:56 PM
Banned

There where against a TR55. There website does not have that much info on it. For N20(TR6) you would get a just a colder version i have pictured.

They are $100.00 for the set.

The graph was printed in speed. You can choose what you want. The dyno printed it that way. Its not my dyno.
The run was just started later than the first. Its a A4 with a converter so its not easy to get a really good comparison graph.
We made runs before and after. The car was warmed up. Some times to hot.

If i can get 4hp from $100.00 compared to none from a plug, i think its worth it IMO.

I doubt you will ever see another dyno comparo. No one will spend the money for dyno to test it. We did because we had the dyno for out header test.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

the next test woudl be to take that same car to the dyno and swap in a set of brand new TR55 From what Ive seen the benefits of a fresh plug only last for a little while i wonder if a fresh Tr55 woudl do the same?
Old 01-31-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I payed 82 bucks for my set about two months ago. So far I'm happy with them. I'll pull them out in a couple of months to see how they are holding up.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DD966
I take it that's a comparison with the stock plugs.
Originally Posted by Redlinez
How much are they?
You guys need to read

That is awesome that they gained some HP. I will look into these once I get more proof
Old 01-31-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

and couldn't something stupid like warmer oil account for a gain? I think you'd have to do a few runs, swapping new stock vs those no? Im not bitching, thanks for showing us.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:20 PM
Teching In

I had a set of Brisks in my GTO for two days and removed them.

The car would bog if driving at a low RPM then gassing it. The car would feel like the traction control was kicking in. No misfires and no CE light.

I swapped back in the 500 mile stockers and everything is fine again.

The plugs still look brand new so I don't get it.

Dan
Old 01-31-2005, 03:52 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great test work, but 100$ a set, i'll stick to my 2.99 TR6's.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

DAmn, you aint lying!! Too much info in one post for me I guess. $100!!! Wow.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i dont exactly know if they contributed to the gain without further testing, its good info anyway. if it does prove to gain 4hp or more generally on our application i can see spending the $100 but otherwise ill stick to a gappable $25 set. thanks for the info
Old 01-31-2005, 05:26 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=brisk

Welcome to a couple months ago....Just kidding...

I found these plugs really lived up to expectations and more.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

those gains are minimal i think. it would be better IMO if many tests were run with each and the average was given. i paid 13 bucks at advance for my tr55's 87 more dollars could buy more hp than 3.3 hp and .2 tq. thanks for the compairison i dont think anyone else will do that lol. but i would think there are too many factors to include here. im just wondering if the air fuel ratio changed with the plug swap contributing to the few hp change
Old 01-31-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to see some more dyno testing before I shell out $100 for spark plugs.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Banned

Guy, i cant see anyone else doing a testing on these. I did it becasue i wanted to see the gains for my self and we had the dyno for it. We did multiple dyno runs all around the same gains. It showed a gain. We wanted test a new prodcut and bring it to the LS1 World. If you dont beleive it, fine. Its ok with me. But i saw it and for 4hp for $100.00 its well worth it. Considering plugs show no gains. There are plenty of parts out there that are way more expensive than $100 and show less than 4hp ona bolt on car, like MAF, LSX Intake, Big Throttle bodys and some other parts.

To gain any hp for a part you dont expect to its well worth it. I did my part and tested them. If anyone esle wants to test them go ahead. I am a believer and they are going on all our cars here.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:06 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys, its more than just more overall horsepower. I monitorred via ATAP knock, timing ect and after the plug swap I was not getting any spark knock at tip in which I used to before swapping to these plugs. Tip in and part throttle response was a huge difference with this set of plugs and made daily driving much more enjoyable.

Who wants to run around at WOT all the time and constantly shifting to stay above 4000 rpm, not me, I own a big displacement V8 to enjoy low rpm, part throttle power.

At WOT they may not make a big difference, but I noticed a big change and my mileage went up about 25-30miles per tank.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

nascar still uses 1 electrode reg spark plugs. Unless theres some rule against it wouldnt they use them if they helped?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank's for the dyno testing on these plug's and 4hp for a $100 is good. I'm just glad were still getting some new product's that are getting tested. I'll give them a try when it's time for plug's hell I've tried every other plug out there so why not these if I can get better throttle responce down low and maybe get 4hp.

Quick Reply: New Spark Plug Gains Horsepower!!