Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP True Duals Banging... Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 12:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy TSP True Duals Banging... Advice...

Okay, I installed my TSP True Duals today, and I am VERY happy with them. They sound so good that I got a half a stalk when I first went WOT. They fit up nicely, and looked good too. Easy install. I've gotten many looks so far.

I only have one issue, and I know that it's probably my fault. I could only manage to get so much clearance between the driver's side "L1" pipe and the floorpan. I have a finger's clearance in most spots, but right where the heatshield is ahead of the floorpan support, It ALMOST touches the shield. I can hear it vibrating the shield under moderate acceleration, but when I got WOT, it stops. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get more clearance here? Pics would be a great help. If I can't get help, I'm gonna do the BFH mod to my floorpan support.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, mine kinda touches when the motor is being torqued under acceleration. its pretty damn annoying. as a matter of fact, im annoyed with the whole true dual thing. the sound is great, but the interior drone and vibration is the f**kin pits man thats why i went back to a catback. anyway, i tucked a nice piece of radiator hose up in between the pipe and floor. it worked fine
Old 02-02-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your best bet is to get a muffler shop to lower it there - or, cheaper still, hammer it in... Doesn't sound pleasant, but it won't hurt performance at all - to have a section of flat pipe(on the top). Better than hitting your floor-board every time you give it the gas and getting false knock...

You need to at least be able to slide your fingers in between the pipe and frame rail/heat shield to have any kind of clearance under acceleration.

Every car is different - and even our systems need tweaking now and then.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Well, I'd rather smash the support than the pipe, but I hope that I can get it down some without any hammering.

Lane, have you ever hammered the support up a little bit? I have a 4lb sledge that would make short work of it. I don't think that it'd hurt anything would it?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

I think I fixed it. Some persuading with a crowbar and a floor jack bought me about twice the clearance. I can't be sure, because it's raining here. I dunno though, I swear I felt it still banging...
Old 02-02-2005, 04:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might try knocking the support up a bit. You can usually get another 1/2" or so of clearance. You can also loosen it back up and put something between the pipe and the body and then retighten everything. Once you pull the piece out, the clearance should remain. That should get the problem fixed for you!

Quick Reply: TSP True Duals Banging... Advice...