Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock TI-tech coating is tough

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up Edelbrock TI-tech coating is tough

I have these on my car now. Damn this coating is the ****. It is so damn tough. I wish I had a video of me heating up the collectors. !st propane. Didn't get hot enough. Then MAPP gas. Not hot enough. Then MAPP/OXY. People weld with this. Finnally got hot enough, BUT the coating still holds tough. no flaking. Hard to scratch.

Welding them was easy. Just welded throught the coating and it took, But the surrounding area was not affected. And the Splatter just wipped off. I'm damn impressed with this coating.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will try to take some underhood temps to compare with other headers. I need to get a lazer Therm. or something similar and find the car club in town to see if I can compare this coating (as far as thermal properties go). When I was heating the headers and collectors it disappated heat quickly.

Here's the other thread discussing this. I was getting long.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/256344-any-word-yet-edelbrock-headers-new-ti-tech-coating.html
Old 02-04-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

TTT for those who want to know.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:50 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That's great to hear.... My lazy *** should finish getting my car back together and running tonight. I haven't been real motivated due to the snow that's still on the ground, but that's a whole other story.

I am really impressed with these headers compared to my MACS. Despite my issues with the cylinder head, these headers went in pretty smoothly and bolted up without a problem.

I have plenty of clearance from the floor boards as well as ground clearance. I just need to get my coil packs on tonight and top off fluids and then I'll take the car for a spin to see how it sounds.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are the Edelbrocks coated inside too? Or is mild steel
exposed to the exhaust?
Old 02-04-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man glad to hear your getting through your pobs. Stripping a Thread must have pissed you off to no end. I know Something would have flown that isn't suppose to fly. On my Driver's side header I think it's because the collector is slightly shifted skyward. I just could not get it to straighten out completely.

Did you have to clearence your K-member on the Drivers side? Also A little tip is if you have MSD or other aftermarket Wires, Bend them slightly to sit about middle between the primaries. This should keep them alive. But I the headers don't seem to get to hot though. I think this coating doeas have decient thermal properties. The AC pipe that is closest to the Headers used to get really HOT with The manifolds, but now is much cooler. Used to burn the hell out of my left arm even after the manifolds were cool enough.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Are the Edelbrocks coated inside too? Or is mild steel
exposed to the exhaust?

From what I could see it kind of looked like it, but I couldn't really tell. Alchemist can you check if Possible?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:04 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

The insides of the headers looked like they were sprayed at least partially inside. But anytime you see headers rust, it is close to the ends and only on the outside, so I'm not worried.

All I need to do tonight is get my freakin coil packs back on and top off fluids and do a thorough walk through of what came apart and what went back together.

I'm curious as hell to hear this thing.

By chance Richie, what catback are you running? I've got the magnaflow which sounded pretty mean before with the macs.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've have aspin tech. Sounds good. You're should sound really good at WOT.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm concerned about erosion from the inside out, seen a few
people reporting this on mild steel headers (none w/ stainless).
Thinking coated inside might stand up to the hot gas better.

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
The insides of the headers looked like they were sprayed at least partially inside. But anytime you see headers rust, it is close to the ends and only on the outside, so I'm not worried.

All I need to do tonight is get my freakin coil packs back on and top off fluids and do a thorough walk through of what came apart and what went back together.

I'm curious as hell to hear this thing.

By chance Richie, what catback are you running? I've got the magnaflow which sounded pretty mean before with the macs.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:01 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, I got the car running, but it's not running right.

The car is stumbling and lugging really really badly. I have atap on and the Bank1 Ltrims are at +12.1 - +15.1 with the Bank2 Ltrims sitting at +1 - +2.

I thought it was a bad O2 sensor, but I swapped the sensors and they stayed at the same levels.

I reset the pcm and the car ran ok until the Ltrims started to clime on bank1. I'm guessing that I have an exhaust link next to the O2 sensor, which would be an easy fix.

I can smell that I'm dumping way too much gas as it's burning my eyes and nose.

I took the top end apart on the driver's side and checked everything out and found no problems or issues.

This is never easy is it... oh well... I'll get things straightened out eventually.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:29 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Found out my problem......

I cracked the porcelin on the #7 spark plug....

I was under the car trying to feel for exhaust leaks and I looked up and saw #7 arking and the car stuttering at the same moment.

Pulled the plug and low and behold, cracked plug.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much are these headers?, who carries them, and are they better then pacesetters. I have been looking for a post with this information
Old 02-05-2005, 07:13 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, come to find out... I drove 20 miles one way to pick up a $0.99 plug and actually had two plugs on the driver's side that had the porcelin cracked.... Just my freakin luck...

I swapped the plug from the driver's side to the passenger side and the Ltrims instantly swapped... bank1 went from +12.0 - +15.0 to -1.0 and the bank2 went from +1.0 to +12.0.

So I had cracked two plugs while doing all of this mess.

I will say that the car sounds smoother at idle than it did before. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm leaving at 5am tomorrow morning to go on a cruise, so this will have to wait till next week to get resolved.

I got these from a non-sponsor, but I do beleive SDPC is carrying them as well. Just about anyone who carries Edelbrock products should be able to get these to your door for right around $500.

Now I'm actually looking forward to coming back from vacation and getting the car running right.

Bon-Voyage
Old 02-05-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn man Why did you have the same damn problem that F*cked me up for 2 days.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:59 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, after getting back from vacation, I addressed the plug situation. The car is now running like a raped ape, but I do have to address a couple small exhaust leaks, but they aren't at the header collectors.

The car's low-mid range power is damn impressive. I was spinning yesterday shifting into second gear and rolling into the throttle at 2500-3000 rpm. The car never did that before with the macs. I'm quite happy with the tone of them as well, a nice smooth clean sound.

I think I need to check all of the driver's side plugs just to be safe though. I may have fouled a plug or two after running with the Ltrims sitting at +14. Time will tell.

I'm definitely happy.

I will get some more pics of the ground clearance and post them. At work we have 5 speed bumps and I had no issues at all and I'm lowered 2".

Great mod in my oppinion. Just need to let them heat cycle a couple more times and then get the car on a lift and address all of the connection and make certain there are no leaks.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock TI-tech coating is tough