Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help,Car wont start..it just clicks

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help,Car wont start..it just clicks

I just recently put headers and exhaust on, and my car ran excellent all weekend and then yesterday i drive it all day,..park it...get in it hours later drive it 100yards park it,...start it 15min later and nothing but a clicking noise. My security light comes on, all the lights come on,..tried jumping it...no help. I dont know what to do. Im guessing that its most likely my starter b/c I have heard these often go out after putting headers in, so should i go with a high torque starter or will just my basic one due? or will the starter even be my main concern for the problem? I dont know what else it could be or how to go about doing it. Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

starter most likely overheated, wait till the car cools off completely and try again. did you get ceramic headers? if it is overheating, i highly suggest a heat shield or your new starter will do the same. been there done that. our high compression motors already come with high torque starters, but i do like the smaller size of the aftermarket ones. i put one on my old lt1.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

well yes i have the same headers you have, ceramic coated pacesetter longtube race (no emission) headers. I have continued trying to start it after it has "cooled off" and I am guessing I just am going to have to buy a new one, I hope that its the starter anyways. I suppose i'll have to go with the high-torque 220$ starter huh?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

If your starter was working fine before the install, i wouldn't get another one quite yet. make sure your bolts on the starter are tight, and double check your wires (triple check the ones hooking to your starter) and try her again
Old 02-09-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98REDZ
well yes i have the same headers you have, ceramic coated pacesetter longtube race (no emission) headers. I have continued trying to start it after it has "cooled off" and I am guessing I just am going to have to buy a new one, I hope that its the starter anyways. I suppose i'll have to go with the high-torque 220$ starter huh?
ok then its not overheating, its either dead or the connections got messed up in the install.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Have you checked the battery yet?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check the ground on the battery and the connections on the starter. They could have come loose and this will make the car do the same thing. I speak from experience. Check the dumb things first before jumping to conclusions.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd check the battery too, mike clicked and flashed 'security' when it was dead.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98REDZ
I just recently put headers and exhaust on, and my car ran excellent all weekend and then yesterday i drive it all day,..park it...get in it hours later drive it 100yards park it,...start it 15min later and nothing but a clicking noise. My security light comes on, all the lights come on,..tried jumping it...no help. I dont know what to do. Im guessing that its most likely my starter b/c I have heard these often go out after putting headers in, so should i go with a high torque starter or will just my basic one due? or will the starter even be my main concern for the problem? I dont know what else it could be or how to go about doing it. Thanks for the help in advance!
Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Mine started doing the same thing tonight.