Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise: I am in Calif does LT headers only make you fail smog by visable inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advise: I am in Calif does LT headers only make you fail smog by visable inspection?

Hey all:
I am in California where smog laws are strict.
Does LT headers actualy make you fail the sniffer test or is it just by visable inspection by modding the exaust?

Also any advise on which LT header and y-pipe to go with and which vendor has the best prices on them?

Thanks all
Old 02-10-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They can also set a check engine light, you also might need a tune. I almost failed the sniffer but I wasn't tuned after I went to LT's. I also kept setting that damn O2 sensor heater code.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Launching!

Your gonna need a Catted Y-pipe. and some better O2 sensors that can work being further back from the engine. Also might wanna keep the AIR. You wont pass the visual, but you should be fine on the sniffer.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

you can pass the smog test, but you will not pass the visual..that is if u got the 02 sims and catted y pipe..find a shop this is not too picky on the visual and your all set
Old 02-10-2005, 11:08 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

It will pass the sniffer if you have cats on, but like marcus26 said, no way its going to pass the visual. That to me that is just dumb, but hey, what are you going to do. I just said screw it and bought some pacesetter LT's and ORY, Iam finishing up the install today. Iam going to just swap them out every time emissions testing comes around. Although its going to be a pain in the *** . I got my headers from TSP, they got the best prices on them. So either swap them out, or slip someone at the smog station some money, or pray they overlook it.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9camaross8
It will pass the sniffer if you have cats on, but like marcus26 said, no way its going to pass the visual. That to me that is just dumb, but hey, what are you going to do. I just said screw it and bought some pacesetter LT's and ORY, Iam finishing up the install today. Iam going to just swap them out every time emissions testing comes around. Although its going to be a pain in the *** . I got my headers from TSP, they got the best prices on them. So either swap them out, or slip someone at the smog station some money, or pray they overlook it.
Hi
Why would you want to change the headers each time, go for it and maybe you pass. If you fail, then look for other options. Pulling headers are too much work.
Bill

Last edited by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS; 02-11-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with Bill, swapping headers sucks. Have the smog shop do a "pre-test" it costs about $25. The operator is suppose to check everything just like it was real test, the only difference is that if you fail or pass the results are not sent to DMV.

The problem with failing a test is that you can get tagged as a "gross polluter" and be required to undergo more stringent tests.

9camaro8 - cars are certified to meet federal and state regulations upon startup with a cold engine. Moving the cats causes higher levels of crap out the tailpipe because they take longer to heat up. Smog Check does not test this function as it would be difficult for everyone to wait for their car to cool down before testing.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bluehawk27
Your gonna need a Catted Y-pipe. and some better O2 sensors that can work being further back from the engine. Also might wanna keep the AIR. You wont pass the visual, but you should be fine on the sniffer.
From what I remember when I lived in Cali, long tubes are fine, AS LONG AS the long tubes have a CARB-EO number. (Which means that the headers have been approved for use in California, as emissions compliant)

Not sure if things have changed in 3 years though, but I don't think so.

http://www.aempower.com/faq.asp?fid=19&sid=&tid=3

First thing I found on google, on a faq on CARB-EO.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Christos
From what I remember when I lived in Cali, long tubes are fine, AS LONG AS the long tubes have a CARB-EO number. (Which means that the headers have been approved for use in California, as emissions compliant)

Not sure if things have changed in 3 years though, but I don't think so.

http://www.aempower.com/faq.asp?fid=19&sid=&tid=3

First thing I found on google, on a faq on CARB-EO.

But there are no such headers None of the long tube headers have carb numbers.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

that sux... sounds like all of you need to move far away from cali.