Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gains from headers w/ stock cats & Y-pipe...

Old 02-10-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gains from headers w/ stock cats & Y-pipe...

As my car sits, I have an SLP lid and Corsa catback. What gains could I see from adding ONLY headers to my LS1 as it sits? Would there be a noticeable SOTP difference? Thanks for any input...
Old 02-10-2005, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your stock y will not work without some serious modifications if at all. Even if you do fab up some kind of y from the stock y-pipe, i seriously doubt it would flow as well as a 3" y-pipe you should be buying. IMO, I'd rather spend a couple hundred on a ORY than a couple hundred modifying my stock y-pipe. You'll be glad you did.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pimpium57
As my car sits, I have an SLP lid and Corsa catback. What gains could I see from adding ONLY headers to my LS1 as it sits? Would there be a noticeable SOTP difference? Thanks for any input...
I gained 17 RWHP and lost about the same amount of TQ under 3,500 RPM. I did not notice a big SOTP difference. I am still not sure if it was worth my $1300 bucks. I have been told the biggest gain with headers is when you do the H/C. Dont know if this helps. Thats just were I am at. I read that headers are the best mod and guys rant and rave how sick and bad *** they sound. I have seen guys post up to 26RWHP without a tune. Wish I gained 26RWHP.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

You can use shorty headers with the stock y-pipe and cats. I THINK people who have went the shorty route have shown gains of 2-10rwhp depending on car. Hopefully some of them will chime in for you. You won't be able to use your stock y-pipe and cats with mid-length or longtube headers without serious modification to the y-pipe (assuming it could be done at all).

FWIW, I gained 15rwhp/13rwtq with FLP longtubes through the FLP cats when I had the stock cam. Probably could add 3-5rwhp and rwtq to that number if I had the ORP on the car.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys.....

Chad, what did the hp/tq #'s look like under the curve? The one thing I do not want is ANY loss of low-end tq, no matter how small it is...

Last edited by Pimpium57; 02-10-2005 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Adding info...
Old 02-10-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

With any larger diamater exhaust piping (including headers) you can expect to lose a small amount of low end torque. But the HP gains will more than make up for it.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pimpium57
Thanks guys.....

Chad, what did the hp/tq #'s look like under the curve? The one thing I do not want is ANY loss of low-end tq, no matter how small it is...
I don't recall any loss at any point on the graph....but I will dig the dyno sheet out tonight and let you know.

Search this Thread