Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what if rear o2's werent deleted correctly???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what if rear o2's werent deleted correctly???

when i installed my headers, i took my cats off and just left the rear o2s hanging. a while after that, i installed my 224 cam and had it tuned by texas speed (mail order tune). i told them to delete my rear o2s. well, i noticed that even before my cam, ever since the header install, my engine would shake/jerk every couple seconds. u can really notice at idle, but even when rpms are up, u can still see it shake looking under the hood. u cant feel it while ur actually driving, but at idle its terrible. anyway, ive tried to pinpoint what it is, but i still havene had any luck. ive replaced plugs, wires, o2s. after texas speed sent me back my pcm,my ses light went off, but i dont know if they deleted my rear o2s correctly. can anyone tell me if this would be a possible cause of my problem? also, im having it tuned again very soon, so what should i tell him to look for?
Old 02-10-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

No, the rear o2's likely have nothing to do with it. The only purpose of the rear o2's is to monitor catylitic converter efficiency/failure. They do not affect afr at all.

Is the shaking you're feeling a vibration, or more like a rocking back and forth motion. Cause if it's a vibration, that is pretty common. It's primarily because of the location of the headers and y-pipe and the increased diameter tubing.

The vibrations are intermittent on my car also at idle. It seems like every couple of seconds, the vibes become more pronounced. Once it warms up though, the vibration becomes steady and much less noticeable.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

nah man, its a shake. with the hood popped, u can actually see the engine shake back and forth a few times.....and that happens every couple seconds. any ideas?
Old 02-10-2005, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

That happened to me once , and i couldn`t discover the problem , but after 1 year , I felt a kind of loosing performance ,(that was on 98 model) , so i decided to open the engine , however , we found a slight damage in pistons 1 and 3 , and we noticed that this happened only in 98 models . Why ? dont ask me .
Old 02-10-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

damn, well i hope my problem is different
Old 02-10-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The35thZ
damn, well i hope my problem is different
I hope so too. Are you throwing any codes? Maybe your motor mounts are bad, I doubt that, but maybe.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

well, its just coincidental that the shake showed up right after the header install. i dunno i dont think its the motor mounts.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like you need some poly motor mounts. It is probably because of the lope of the cam that is shaking the engine.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

well, for the second time, the engine started shaking after the header install, which was way before the cam.