Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about true duals

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about true duals

i am thinking of ditching the loudmouth and going the route of true duals. i wanted to know where is a good place to get them from, considering that they need to go on a set of SLP longtubes. i was also considering having someone weld up a custom x-pipe and bullets dumped. not trying to spend a lot but i am not sure what a lot is for true duals. lemme know what u guys think is a good solution.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought the TSP setup and ended up changing everything except the x crossover.

If I could do it again, I'd just buy a Dr. Gas x crossover and the mufflers then just go to an exhaust shop for the rest of it.

Also, I had Dynomax bullets on my old setup and hated them. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for a daily driver.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought a dr. gas x pipe, flo-pro twisters, and had a local exhaust guy fab them up. all 3in, and you can't get a better x pipe than dr. gas! tsp makes a really good prefabbed system that is reasonably priced, and i do believe they will fit slp headers.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daily drive is great with the TSP x kit. Yet you have SLP and I dunno if that will fit.

You should buy the x-pipe and have a shop fab one up for you.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't think about, just do it
Old 02-17-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

no, you should definitely think about it. if its a daily driver, it might get really old. the noise is tough sounding, but it gets old after a while. not to mention the interior vibration u will get every time u shift. but, if its not a daily driver, i say go for it. ive had them and they are mean soundin, but i went back to a catback cuz of the noise and vibration. its also more fun to drive around town with the catback.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

here's pics of the bassani tru-dual i put on both of the formulas. just have to do some minor moding to get it to fit to your headers. http://www.stealthram.com/2000pontiacformula.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=bassani

post #42 shows the tru-dual connected to a set of MAC headers. i'll have pics up soon on how i got it to hook to the bassani headers on the wife's car. i took some pics already. http://www.stealthram.com/1999pontiacformula.html
Old 02-19-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Look into Lane's true duals. They are more expensive than TSP's, but he uses Dr. Gas X pipe and custom builds each kit. I talked to him about 3 weeks ago, and they're $495 plus shipping. That's with whatever size pipe and muffler you want. It is pretty expensive, but considering it'll be a bolt up kit with no clearance and fitment issues, you really can't go wrong with him. Some don't like that he's not a sponsor here, but that doesn't matter. He still makes a good product and offers help on here.

Jason
Old 02-19-2005, 01:33 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wickid Z
no, you should definitely think about it. if its a daily driver, it might get really old. the noise is tough sounding, but it gets old after a while. not to mention the interior vibration u will get every time u shift. but, if its not a daily driver, i say go for it. ive had them and they are mean soundin, but i went back to a catback cuz of the noise and vibration. its also more fun to drive around town with the catback.
^ Pay attention to what this guy wrote.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think this is just a personal preference thing, I have bullets, and it is pretty loud, and my interior rattles some, but nothing I couldn't live with. I don't think it is bad at all, I thought it was loud for about the first week, and now I don't even notice it. And I thought the TSP setup was great in terms of fit and finish, easily went together in my garage, and I have never looked back on doing it.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

I had hooker LT, and ORY and dynomouth. (had it with the loudmouth too) and i just went to tsp duals!!!!!!!!!!! let me tell you I do not know what, these people that are complaning about the duals, had before then duals but the duals got rid of all my rasp, deeper sound, better tone, AND IT IS NOT AS LOUD IN THE CAR!!!! both other systems where louder yes sitting at red lights kinda shakes **** around in car but with a cam it just make me smile everytime!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pontiac
I had hooker LT, and ORY and dynomouth. (had it with the loudmouth too) and i just went to tsp duals!!!!!!!!!!! let me tell you I do not know what, these people that are complaning about the duals, had before then duals but the duals got rid of all my rasp, deeper sound, better tone, AND IT IS NOT AS LOUD IN THE CAR!!!! both other systems where louder yes sitting at red lights kinda shakes **** around in car but with a cam it just make me smile everytime!!!!!!!
Yeah True Duals sound so good. I really love my TSP system. It got rid of all my RASP until I had to run them out the back. If you get it dumped under the car it sounds amazing.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Teching In

I have Hooker LT's, 2.5" X-Pipe, No cats, and 2 Flowmaster 1-Chambered mufflers dumped and it sounds amazing! Very very deep and loud. I do have some interior rattle but thats because I have my interior panels disconnected as well as some stuff in the hatch. I wouldnt trade this tone for anything!

-VortecLS1
Old 02-20-2005, 08:25 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pontiac
Let's see how you feel a year from now about your TD's if your car is your daily driver.

TD's daily driven in a big city full of traffic, traffic cops, parking garages with ramps and speed bumps in parking lots can get old. Parking 5 blocks away from the office tower in downtown I needed to go to, but could not go up its parking ramp got old. I once had to pull an Austin Powers golf cart turn around to get back out of a garage that I couldn't get up.

My duals had decent clearance, but not enough clearance to offer me true daily driving. People should realize this before investing in them.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Let's see how you feel a year from now about your TD's if your car is your daily driver.

TD's daily driven in a big city full of traffic, traffic cops, parking garages with ramps and speed bumps in parking lots can get old. Parking 5 blocks away from the office tower in downtown I needed to go to, but could not go up its parking ramp got old. I once had to pull an Austin Powers golf cart turn around to get back out of a garage that I couldn't get up.

My duals had decent clearance, but not enough clearance to offer me true daily driving. People should realize this before investing in them.
Is your car lowered? I am at stock ride height and am yet to scape on something. If the car is lowered, then yes, I could fully see your point. How much clearence did you have when you had duals?
Old 02-20-2005, 04:22 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01TAFlyer
Is your car lowered? I am at stock ride height and am yet to scape on something. If the car is lowered, then yes, I could fully see your point. How much clearence did you have when you had duals?
Not lowered, but the car did have SLP LT's with the TD's (QTP's on there now).