Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP Y pipe

Should I buy the QTP Y when I order my headers or should I go to Lanes and have a custom Y made? I don't know what to do.. Help. The QTP Y looks nice and I'm leaning toward that right now. I just want others oppinions. Thanks
Old 02-18-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i went w/ the qtp y
Old 02-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

it depends on what torque arm you are running/ plan to run. If you plan on going with a chassis mount one, like a bmr extreme, or a Spohn unit ( which is what I run ) then i would suggest a custom made one. Although I have teh QTP catted Y with the chassis mount tq arm, it was a bitch to get it to fit because of the large 4 inch collector. If you do have one made, just get a 4 inch flowmaster collector ( from qtp even, the cat's too if you are gonna run them ) and have the rest fabbed to the car. Probably cost a little more that way, but the aggravation you'd save would be tremendous. if you never plan on running anything other than a regualr stock style torque arm... then the QTP piece will work great. Also, if you go with the HV merge ( wish I did ) I'd just have everything fabbed. Those headers are longer than the standard collector.. and the Y will definately not work with a chassis mount tq arm. But again, if you are sticking with a stock style tq arm... the qtp piece will work fine.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks JL, I am planning to go with the HVM so I guess I'll get a custom Y or I might just go with some duals instead
Old 02-18-2005, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

it is really up to you in a sense..do you want a Y pipe or true duals????

the QTP Y is a nice piece though... true merge collector
Old 02-18-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The QTP y is a nice peice. I went and got their ORY with their headers. I installed the headers with no problems. I then came to the ory and test fitted it and knew there was no way in hell that it was going to fit without cutting and welding.

I took it to Lanes and he fixed it right up. He told me it seemed like it was slapped together along with poor design. At that time Lanes was about a mile away from my house so i didn't have a problem driving there.

IMO i would not get their ypipe and just get the headers. Have Lane set up your custom ypipe just right. Think about true duals as well.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001 White Ws6
The QTP y is a nice peice. I went and got their ORY with their headers. I installed the headers with no problems. I then came to the ory and test fitted it and knew there was no way in hell that it was going to fit without cutting and welding.

I took it to Lanes and he fixed it right up. He told me it seemed like it was slapped together along with poor design. At that time Lanes was about a mile away from my house so i didn't have a problem driving there.

IMO i would not get their ypipe and just get the headers. Have Lane set up your custom ypipe just right. Think about true duals as well.

Thanks, I figured since you went to lanes with your set up I would PM you and find out what you thought.