Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maf?

I have a 2002 Trans Am in which I changed the ends on my maf. When I had the car tuned the first thing the guy asked me was if I had messed with the maf sensor. He said it was running dangerously lean which he fixed and he said the car couldn't handle any extra timing. I thought since the sensor itself was stock and just the housing was changed that it wouldn't change much electronically. I talked to a couple performance shops and they suggested that I put the stock maf back on the car. I'm running about 325rwhp and they said the stock unit can handle way more than that. My question is would it be beneficial to me to put the stock ends back on since the car will be seeing the dyno again shortly after my TQ converter install? I know the stock unit is more restrictive because of the screen but the meter itself gets a better reading from the smoothed out airflow which maybe more valuable in the long run. Any info is appreciated.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think the modified MAF ends gain you much power at all with a stock setup.
If you add some power later on, you might consider a LS6 MAF + tuning. I'd put the stocker back on for now.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes put the stock stuff back on
Old 02-20-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't ever consider replacing the stock MAF until you exceed the 550 HP mark.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys