Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full exhaust at home

Old 02-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full exhaust at home

I have been pricing 3" cat back flowmaster, and most shops want about $750 for the system installed. I figure I could by an entire y pipe and exhaust system for about $500 and could try to install them at home. So I would be installing from the exhaust manifold back. Can I do this at home with regular tools. Any suggestion, tricks, tips. thanks
Old 02-23-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Flowmasters are a waste IMHO...

Get a GOOD sounding cat back system. If you want to do a full exhaust, get LT Headers, y pipe, and a cat back system. Get good headers, with a good y, and a good cat back system. Kooks, QTP, Pacesetter are good for headers. You could install them at home, just make sure you have ground clearance. You may need a sawzall to cut the over the axle pipe to the intermediate pipe. You need the clearance because if you can't get enough room in there for a sawzall, you won't be able to get the over the axle pipe, over the axle. To check out some good combinations, check out THIS SITEAlso check out Texas Speed for better exhaust systems.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Default headers back?

So what youre saying is I should just get some headers and a Y pipe with something like magnaflow. Also To put headers on do I have to take apart the steering, if so is it hard or basic. I will be abe to get the car jacked up so I can get under it to mount the Y pipe back and If I buy a custom bent kit I should have no problem over the axel. I dont have to take off the valve covers fot the headers Do I. Thanks.
Originally Posted by blind527
Flowmasters are a waste IMHO...

Get a GOOD sounding cat back system. If you want to do a full exhaust, get LT Headers, y pipe, and a cat back system. Get good headers, with a good y, and a good cat back system. Kooks, QTP, Pacesetter are good for headers. You could install them at home, just make sure you have ground clearance. You may need a sawzall to cut the over the axle pipe to the intermediate pipe. You need the clearance because if you can't get enough room in there for a sawzall, you won't be able to get the over the axle pipe, over the axle. To check out some good combinations, check out THIS SITEAlso check out Texas Speed for better exhaust systems.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

flows suck.. restrictive, sound good but restrictive.. if u want to do flowmasters weld in a cutout.. anyways screw 750 installed.. u can do all the exhuast work urself.. infact what i would do is lt headers, a x pipe from ls1speed, and two bullet shaped mufflers, comes with clamps and hangers ect! priced at about 550-600total with pacesetters.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, order up a Hooker catback from one of the sponsors for $289. Best bang for the buck catback for sure. Sounds great, good quality, and good flow. You'll have to cut the stock over the axle pipe to remove the factory crap, but other than that it's a simple process. I along with the help of a buddy did it in 1-2 hours start to finish. Yeah, like others have said, don't waste your time on the flowmaster. I had it when I was a newbie and although the sound was pretty good, it doesn't perform like other systems, do it right, do it once. Good luck!!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have to interject here, installing a cat-back is one thing, but installing longtube headers, x-pipe, and on etc. is a much bigger deal or at least it was for me . . .

Anyways, the most popular budget cat-backs that flow and sound great are the hooker, and magnaflow. I had a magnaflow, and it sounded good with stock manifolds, and with headers.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

I agree, cat backs are easy but lts are not so simple. I just installed the Hooker cat back today and love it, I had the Magnaflow before and it sounded good but w/o cats it was just a bit loud, now it is just right....for now.

Search this Thread