Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoking exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default smoking exhaust

Had a concern about 01' T/A just bought.has headers no cats,flowmaster.near the collectors of the headers they appear to have o2 sensors attached or o2 simulators.when i start the car and let it idle for a while it begins to give off smoke from exhaust almost looks like vapor but its not. it smells rich too.i heard that it is smoking and running rich becasue of no cats.when you are driving it doesnt smoke at all.Whats the problem?should i be concerned?
Old 02-26-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

What other mods are on the car, has it been tuned? What color is the smoke? You will smell some fuel if there are no cats installed.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Well if the smoke looks like vapor, it could be one of two things. If the smoke is white and it doesn't do it while you're driving, than it is most likely gas condensation in the pipes, when the exhaust gets up to operating temps, it will burn off any fuel condensate remaining in the pipes from your last drive. When you have cats, this is MUCH less noticeable because very little unburnt fuel will get past the cats.

This is also because of a rich condition.

If the smoke has a bluish tint, then your are running lean and need to do something about it right away. Like getting it tuned. But again, you said it doesn't smoke while driving, so this likely isn't the case.

In short, the same thing happens to me with headers and no cats, don't worry about it right now. Get the car tuned after some major mods like cam or heads and you won't be running rich anymore.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

these are the only mods it has no cats,long tubes,and flowmaster.how can i how rich its running?
Old 02-27-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

Autotap will give you an idea of how rich it's running. But to get your true AF ratio, you'll need a wideband o2 sensor. You can also get it dyno'd to find out your AF ratio at partial and wide open throttle.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lonsr
.how can i how rich its running?
use your nose , it will smell like raw unburnt fuel
Old 02-28-2005, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

I"m gonna dyno it for modding purposes which is a good idea in order to get A/F ratio.By the way it does smell kinda nasty if you stand behind the exhaust pipes.How do I correct the richness???Tuning??
Old 02-28-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lonsr
I"m gonna dyno it for modding purposes which is a good idea in order to get A/F ratio.By the way it does smell kinda nasty if you stand behind the exhaust pipes.How do I correct the richness???Tuning??

If you have autotap, an MAFT will get you close too.