Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT Header Install....??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT Header Install....??

So, I have my SS on jackstands in the garage, and swapping the headers for some nice 1 7/8 QTPs. The driver's side came off fine, and I went to slide in the new one, and the car was just too low for me to get the right angle with it. So I jack this thing up half way to the ceiling, can fit the header straight up, underneath the car and the collecter is still off the ground by 2". Trying to figure out every which way to turn this thing, wedge it, spin it, twist it, slide it, etc. It won't go in! I was under that damn car for nearly 20 mins trying to figure something out. I beat the crap out of my oil filter while doing this, and it looks like if I remove the oil filter then it would have enough room to fit right in. Which means, I have to change my oil to replace my headers...? I've never heard of this before. Anyone else have anything similar? Or know an easier way it'll just slip in? Thanks in advance.
-Steve
Old 02-27-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the qtp headers you have to take off the oil filter, and sometimes leave the drain plug out to get the headers up there, once they are clear the headers should go right in from what i understand, waiting on my headers this week, my filter is off and ready to install headers
Old 02-27-2005, 11:32 PM
9 Second Club

QTP's on my 01 Z went in without removing the oil filter/plug. I had to install the driver side completely vertical in front of the oil plug & they went right in. I repeated it 3 times, there were no problems each time.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

i had the same problem you did. i removed the oil plug and filter and they slid right it. wasn't too worried about it cuz i need to change the oil anyway.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys that have the qtp y pipe, how much did you cut off your I pipe from your catback?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by elite22xl
you guys that have the qtp y pipe, how much did you cut off your I pipe from your catback?

it was about 4-5". i didn't think about measuring it after the guy cut it off.