Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice...

Old 03-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice...

My EGR tube has been leaking for the past month. I've bought new o-rings but that does not seem to fix the problem, every few days I get an SES light, check the tube, and the O-ring has sunk down on the passanger side creating a vacuum leak. The problem is, now that I've fixed it so many times, the brass helicoil feels like it might be coming loose from the manifold. So I pretty much only have one more shot at fixing this before I rip the threads out, or so I think, I've not confirmed that yet. Here is what I'm looking at:
-Buy a new ERG tube to get the correct fit with the oring
-Use RTV high temp sealant to coat the oring and seal it into place(will obviously also bolt it down)
-Remove the EGR system when I go home(need info on this... Not looked into yet...)

If I strip out the threads, I'm screwed. I'll either have to JB weld them back in, or tap the manifold for a larger bolt. OR, of course, buy an LS6 manifold.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Right now, I'm stuck at UND with only a minimum of tools. I'll be driving home in two weeks where I can do anything including a manifold change, so a temp. fix is all I need until I get something perminant done, which is why I'm considering the RTV...
Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread