Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Install

Old 03-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Install

I'm uh goin to be ordering my TSP Rumbler in the next couple weeks or less, and have inquired about having it installed by my mechanic. Well he said it'd be ~$150 to install. So I was thinking maybe I can hold onto that $150 for another mod if I install the exhaust myself.

So my question is.. has anyone installed the Rumbler themselves, if so how hard was it to install, it's a bolt on correct?? What was needed to get the existing stock exhaust off the car, it looks as though it needs to be cut to get up and over the rear axle.

Well.. any comments?

Thanks..
Old 03-01-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's pretty easy to R&R the exhausts. Your factory system will have to be cut near the axle for removal. Then the new system gets hung in the same places as the old one; align the tailpipes, clamp all of the joints together, and enjoy. About the only other thing would be getting the joints welded vs. using clamps if you prefer or if you have problems with exhaust leaks.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

The stock exhaust doensn't have to be cut off, I didn't cut mine off, and it wasn't that big of deal. But if you are going for the easiest way, then yes I would cut it. You should be able to do this no problem. Start saving that $150 for headers
Old 03-01-2005, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

I installed mine in my driveway, with the rear on ramps. It took about 3 hours, cut the stock exhaust off with a dremel (only thing I had). I even put a coat of high temp black paint on the Rumbler.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure to get some penetrating oil or liquid wrench to spray on the exhaust bolts. Spray it on and let it soak a while, don't rush.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Yeah I'm starting to lean toward doing the install myself. What is the best way when connecting the pipes, to clamp them or weld them? Clamping sounds like it'd ruin the airflow a bit, of course I could be wrong.

If I did this it'd be my first major work I've done. I installed my CAI on my old '97Z but that was easy.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pailheadz28
Yeah I'm starting to lean toward doing the install myself. What is the best way when connecting the pipes, to clamp them or weld them? Clamping sounds like it'd ruin the airflow a bit, of course I could be wrong.

If I did this it'd be my first major work I've done. I installed my CAI on my old '97Z but that was easy.
The exhaust systems are slip-fit and the clamps go over the outside of the pipes. They shouldn't affect airflow at all, but sometimes they don't seal 100% so you have tiny exhaust leaks. This is probably the only reason I would bother having the system welded up...
Old 03-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Launching!

I just bolted mine together. Just tighten the heck out of them. It is not that hard to install. Save your money and do it yourself.

Search this Thread