Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default header question

a guy has offered me a set of NIB jet hott's for $350 but they are the uncoated kind(black). i live in atlanta so i dont really have to worry about snow or anything on them, is having coated ones really that important?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No matter what the climate is, the heat cycling from the exhaust temperature will burn off the crappy paint that comes on most headers almost instantly. I would bet they will be rusty within a few weeks if you don't get them coated.

I did have some luck with VHT high-temp exhaust paint on a used set of headers once - this may be an option if you're on a budget(be sure to remove all the original paint and scuff up the headers to help the new paint stick) This won't be nearly as good as having them coated, but it's way cheaper!

The new Edelbrock's with their Ti-tech coating(paint) would probably be better - not to mention less work than repainting those jet hots.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not really important more of a cosmetic and longevity issue, like petez said will rust in a couple of weeks no matter where you life.