Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket water temp sender placement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Aftermarket water temp sender placement?

I just purchased a set of gauges and I need to know where to mount the aftermarket water temp sender. I want to leave the stock sender on the driver side head for computer reasons. I thought about mounting it on the passenger side head but I can't find it. Is it near the back? Has anyone ever had problems mounting it on the passenger side or do you have any other suggestions for mounting it? I saw somewhere ( I think it was CamaroZ28.com) that one thread was posted saying that you have to take out the starter and mount it in a spot behind the starter. If you have any suggestions or if you have done this before on a LS1, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what kind of sender you are using. If you have a mechanical gauge the best spot to put it is in the hole that is right behind the last exhaust port on the passenger side, but it does require tapping the hole to fit. And 99.9% of the time that means removing the head unless you have a REAL short angle drill.

As for electric sending units, you might be able to fit it in that same hole, I dont know though. I run all mechanical gauges.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

its in the same place as the drivers side head, except turner 180 degrees around in back as apposed to the front.no need to drill anything get a metric adapter from equess. do a search for AUTO BARN they have them in stock.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i got mine in the passanger side head. ya gotta take off the coilpacks to get to the hole, or at least that makes it a hell of a lot easier.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
I just purchased a set of gauges and I need to know where to mount the aftermarket water temp sender. I want to leave the stock sender on the driver side head for computer reasons. I thought about mounting it on the passenger side head but I can't find it. Is it near the back? Has anyone ever had problems mounting it on the passenger side or do you have any other suggestions for mounting it? I saw somewhere ( I think it was CamaroZ28.com) that one thread was posted saying that you have to take out the starter and mount it in a spot behind the starter. If you have any suggestions or if you have done this before on a LS1, please let me know. Thanks.
There are two different places where you can mount the sensor, if you're using an electric signal H2O gauge, such as an Autometer. The first is in the passanger header like others have mentioned. The sensor is not going to thread into the passenger header port, though. The adapter sleeves with the gauge are standard size, while the head is a 12mm hole. So, you will need an adapter. They sell them at autobarn.com. The adapter is made of brass and runs about $5. I've heard of people stripping the adapter tightening the sensor down, so.......

Here's where I mounted the sensor. On top of the water pump just to the left of the throttle body (if you're looking under the hood) is a flat circle (top of the water pump.) I removed the water pump (takes about 45min.) and drilled a hole into the pump there. I then tapped the hole and screwed the H2O sensor in. It looks stock and is very accurate. Total job was only 2 1/2 hours, including installing the gauge. Hope this helps.

BTW, I have pics, when I can locage them I'll post them as well.

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 03-04-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by griffz28350
yea i got mine in the passanger side head. ya gotta take off the coilpacks to get to the hole, or at least that makes it a hell of a lot easier.
Is there a sensor already in the passenger side head or is it just a plugged hole waiting for a sensor? I just don't want to disconnect any stock sensors or have to drill into anything.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

The is not a sensor already there. It is a plug that is used to drain coolant from the block. When you do this make sure to drain all the coolant you can
from the radiator petcock. Then I got to the passenger side head plug from underneath the car. Unscrew the plug and either wear goggles or turn your eyes away because quite a bit more coolant will drain out. Use the metric adapter made by Eqquis that everyone has mentioned and replace the plug with that adapter and sender. Be sure to mount the sender and sender wire before screwing in adapter, it makes it much easier. Total time was probably 45 minutes or so.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 03-05-2005, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or... an even easier spot is right above the starter in the block. There is a plug here that you will need to remove. You need to unbolt the starter to get to it. A bunch of coolant will come out to use a catch pan. You will need an M16x1.5 adapter for this location. If you are using Autometer gauges, these adapters are easy to find. No matter what gauge you are using though, you will need some sort of adapter with an M16x1.5 thread to go into the block. Some people say this location doesnt give accurate readings, but comparing it to the real temps, there was only a 1-2 degree difference max.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have heard about the location above the starter but didn't know which one would be easier, the passenger side head or the starter. They both seem equal on the difficulty scale but my only concern is accuracy. If the plug above the starter is that accurate, I'll mount it there. Thanks for the input. I have been worrying about this for 3 weeks.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

The one above the starter is cake to get to. You just need to jack up the car and unbolt the starter. You will also need an allen wrench to take out the plug. I think it is an 8mm one.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where did you get the M16x1.5. I have been looking for that fitting for 2 weeks now. I have gone to every local hardware store and they only carry standard. Why did GM have to make every part of the LS1 metric? Parts are so hard to find.

Last edited by 2000BlkCamaroSS; 03-14-2005 at 11:40 AM. Reason: incorrect message
Old 03-14-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

You need to order it online. Here is the Summit Racing part number... ATM-2275

This adapter has the M16x1.5 outside and 5/8" inside. The gauge should come with a 5/8" adapter to go inside this one. So it will go sender, 5/8" adapter, M16 adapter, block. That should work. I think thats what I had to do.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I have been looking and I went through my jegs and summit mags and they had nothing. But the mag doesn't always list everything so thats probably why I missed it.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:59 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

has anyone tried using one of the wires on the stock temp sensor to work with the autometer gauge?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TJ
has anyone tried using one of the wires on the stock temp sensor to work with the autometer gauge?
First off, the GM sender may not produce the same type of signal as autometer gauges. So it could possible harm the gauge or it may not even work. Second, robbing information from a sender that the computer uses is a bad idea. Splicing into this wire make cause a reduction in voltage going to the PCM and can give false readings. The best way to put in gauges is to not use any of the OEM parts, senders, wires, etc, and do it all from scratch.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tapping into the stock sender on the driver side head may, like Ferocity02 said, decrease the voltage to half and the gauge may only read half of what the real temp is. Also removing that same sender for the Autometer sender may cause problems with the computer. It needs to stay in place so the computer will know when to start the fan during overheating. I too would do it all from scratch. No point in causing electrical problems especially since they are the hardest problems to fix. Besides I've heard that the stock sending unit is not as accurate as some would like it to be. The '98 model is said to be the most accurate of the LS1s. One idea may be changing your stock one for a '98 if you don't already have one.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:07 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
First off, the GM sender may not produce the same type of signal as autometer gauges. So it could possible harm the gauge or it may not even work. Second, robbing information from a sender that the computer uses is a bad idea. Splicing into this wire make cause a reduction in voltage going to the PCM and can give false readings. The best way to put in gauges is to not use any of the OEM parts, senders, wires, etc, and do it all from scratch.
this will be a carb setup, no ecm, hehe.
i have no electronics to interupt. just hoping to get lucky.
im actually using a autometer sender now with my 4th gen gauge cluster, and my water temp gauge reads accurately.
im not fimiliar with the newer style senders. the sendor i have has 2 wires. does they both have a function, or is one of them a ground?
thanks
Old 03-29-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is also 2 wires. About the ground, your guess is as good as mine.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TJ
this will be a carb setup, no ecm, hehe.
i have no electronics to interupt. just hoping to get lucky.
im actually using a autometer sender now with my 4th gen gauge cluster, and my water temp gauge reads accurately.
im not fimiliar with the newer style senders. the sendor i have has 2 wires. does they both have a function, or is one of them a ground?
thanks

one is a ground. doesnt matter what one.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:02 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
one is a ground. doesnt matter what one.
thanks. will one of the wires read temperature, seeing how im not messing with any of the ECM ?
thanks....

Quick Reply: Aftermarket water temp sender placement?