Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

identified muffler

Old 03-06-2005, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default identified muffler

When I bought my 02 it came with an aftermarket muffler installed already. Never knew what kind but I figured it was probably a flowmaster. Today I got under the car and found out that it is indeed a flowmaster muffler. I want to change it out to something that performs better but I like the way the flowmaster sounds. Is there any muffler that performs a lot better but sounds close to it? Also how would the hooker aerochamber muffler compare to it sound wise? And magnaflow? thanks
Old 03-06-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

The Hooker will be quieter than the Flowmaster but will have somewhat the same tone. Just a muffler swap won't do much of anything though on a stock car. You could just get a cutout for when you really want the extra flow. cheaper than a catback and flows better

Jason
Old 03-06-2005, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

I have had all three and I like Hooker the best, it does sound close to the Flowmaster but with better flow. The Magnaflow sounds great but is loud w ory, but nothing is better than the sound of tds if you can handle it loud..I am just too old I guess, lol!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackbird007
When I bought my 02 it came with an aftermarket muffler installed already. Never knew what kind but I figured it was probably a flowmaster. Today I got under the car and found out that it is indeed a flowmaster muffler. I want to change it out to something that performs better but I like the way the flowmaster sounds. Is there any muffler that performs a lot better but sounds close to it? Also how would the hooker aerochamber muffler compare to it sound wise? And magnaflow? thanks
Maybe do this? see attachment
Attached Thumbnails identified muffler-coolcatbackidea.jpg  
Old 03-07-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hooker to me sounds the closest to flowmasters. I have heard it on a LT1 with a huge cam and ory, sounded nice, and on a stock LS1.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hooker, check this out... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/285223-dyno-test-hooker-aerochamber.html

Search this Thread