Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-pipes and power. Am I the only one who has seen such big variations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Y-pipes and power. Am I the only one who has seen such big variations?

I went from a cheap 3" Y pipe that came with my Grott long tubes, to a Y-pipe that Louis from LG custom made for me. Both items had the Mufflex 4" behind them.

I just removed the Mufflex to put in a dual and used a couple parts fo the Y-pipe to join to the X-pipe part of the new Bassani "Duals". I can feel Ive lost power.

Has anyone else seen significant gains/losses from a Y-pipe? What did you move from/to, and how did you assess those gains/losses?

What makes a good/great Y-pipe?

Chris
Old 03-07-2005, 06:12 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

A good Y-pipe has a Flowmaster Merge Collector (or something like it) on it. It merges the two 3" pipes into 1 in a long, fluid manner (instead of slamming the two together).
Two good Y-pipes: QTP and Mufflex.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like QTP's. It looks alot like the custom LG one. For my dual setup, I think I'll attach a cat-ed QTP Y to the back of another 3"->2.5"+2.5" flowmaster D-port merge collector, such that it can join to the dual 2.5"ers of the Bassani Dual exhaust.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:00 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

No offense, but I'd sell that Bassani thing and get a good, proven catback like an SLP dual/dual or a Hooker.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
No offense, but I'd sell that Bassani thing and get a good, proven catback like an SLP dual/dual or a Hooker.
I'm *close*... but Im not there yet.

I would need a good Y-pipe anyways, so might as well try one last time to make the Bassani work. I dont think the backend creates backpressure... I think the front half isnt scavenging well.

Then again, Ive dumped so much $$$ down the rathole on this car because "I dont give up easily". Maybe I should start.