Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone actually ever screw up their MAF with K&N filter oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone actually ever screw up their MAF with K&N filter oil?

I know the K&N's can pass oil and whatnot, but has anyone actually had MAF problems due to a K&N? The reason I ask is my car already has one on there from the previous owner and I'm wondering if it's worth spending a few bucks to buy a paper filter. I'd also like to think the K&N is worth at least 1 HP, eh?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:58 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

I think "over oiling" is the problem. I've been running a holley power shot filter in my car for almost 5 years.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are concerned, the issue is not to switch to a paper filter, but to clean your MAF wires. Do a search, I think people use tuner cleaner or something similar from radio shack to clean the MAF wires.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been thinking of getting a K&N after I saw their in store demo/display. Very impressive at least at low flow rates. Its a good idea to clean the MAF occasionally despite what filter you run.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martingale
I know the K&N's can pass oil and whatnot, but has anyone actually had MAF problems due to a K&N? The reason I ask is my car already has one on there from the previous owner and I'm wondering if it's worth spending a few bucks to buy a paper filter. I'd also like to think the K&N is worth at least 1 HP, eh?
I did, My car was screwed up for two weeks until I could figure out what the problem was. Once I figured out the problem, I just took some rubbing alchol & Q-tips Cleaned the wires real good Then reset the PCM & all was fine.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problems here. Been on for about 10K now.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys. Has anyone actually found proof that a K&N gains a few HP over a paper filter. When I did a search some people were saying it's good for no HP increase.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On my last dyno I pickedup 8rwhp and 8rwtq from switching to a holley filter and descreening the MAF. Now I know some of you will go nuts saying you should never do that, but if the tuner knows what he's doing then it shouldn't be a problem descreening it. I haven't had any issues since.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies guys. Has anyone actually found proof that a K&N gains a few HP over a paper filter. When I did a search some people were saying it's good for no HP increase.
That may very well be true. The big draw to installing a K&N filter is that you buy a filter once and then clean it multiple times, saving money on replacement paper filter prices.

For those of us planning to keep our cars for years, this is an advantage. I certainly plan to keep my car, and at the time of filter purchase, the Holley Powershot was the preferred filter on the forums, so that is what I bought.

Not problems after the last clean & oil, but then I don't get krazy with the oil, either.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Default Running Lean

About four weeks ago I had my car in the shop to replace a knock sensor seal and the mechanic said my car was running very lean. You could even feel it in the acceleration. They told me to check fuel pressures and all that. I came on here read a post dealing with the K&N oil deposition problem. Went out clean the MAF (w/h was really!! dirty) and the car runs like it is new!!. So just make sure you clean the MAF regurally.

What advantage would descreening the MAF do?
Old 03-08-2005, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aaronsnay
What advantage would descreening the MAF do?
Descreening the MAF will cause the air to be more turbulent, rather than being straightened and directed at the MAF sensor at the proper angle.

The resultant turbulance will cause surging at idle & other problems.

Don't do it.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
Descreening the MAF will cause the air to be more turbulent, rather than being straightened and directed at the MAF sensor at the proper angle.

The resultant turbulance will cause surging at idle & other problems.

Don't do it.
Descreening the MAF will cause the velocity profile to become less linear. In other words, faster air in the center and slower along the outside edges. The net flow will increase along with volumetric efficiency (mass flow efficiencty). AKA, the engine breaths better.

However, the calibration gets out of whack and could cause problems. Probably not worth the risks unless you can recalibrate the PCM.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:17 PM
SSU Moderator

Yeah, you don't benifit much from pulling the screen. Also, I ran a K&N for 3 years w/ no issues, re-oiled it...and set a code daily. Swapped to a paper filter and no issues (i also cleaned the MAF with some cheap spray cleaner from Radio Shack).
Old 03-09-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

No one makes a performance paper filter, do they? Or is the Fram air hog paper?