Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions Q's on 98 TA (would it help to block off?)

Old 03-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions Q's on 98 TA (would it help to block off?)

JW, if it would help out to block off emissions (EGR's) on the LS1 motor... I'm trying to find all the power I can for the season opener at Quaker City Raceway. Ran a 12.77@108.18 last year, just added CenterForce Clutch, Richmond 4.56 gears, MT ET Street Radial's 275/40/17, 255lph fuel pump, TB bypass, + tuning (in a week or so). I wanna hit the 11's really bad. Oh ya, I just realised my LT's melted my o2 sensor extensions... so the front o2's werent hooked up...
Old 03-13-2005, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Are you talking about the valve that sticks inside the LS1 intake behind the throttle body? If so, you can simply remove it and cut it with a Dremel tool so it doesn't interfere with the air intake flow. This is the old EGR mod.

If you are referring to the EGR and AIR fittings that connect to the ehhaust, blocking those off doesn't really help performance, but does clean up the engine bay.

12.77 is a long way from 11's even with 4.11's,tuning and LT's. Weight reduction,traction and cold air are your best friends at this point. What is your 60 ft?
Old 03-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

1.865 with bad clutch last year on bfg comp t/a dr's 315/35/17, these et streets help out alot. i lost some time between gears last year because of old clutch, centerforch clutch, 4.56 gears, LT's, no cats, slp loudmouth, tuning, NON_SPONSOR lid/smooth bellow, t/b bypass, et street radials, i think i should be low low 12's, high 11s
Old 03-13-2005, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the only thing that would come out of blocking all of the AIR and EGR is to take it all off and loose like 15-25 lbs off the front of your car.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

i know when i took off my factory TB, the backside was black from EGR. i dunno about !egr adding power, but i don't think it helps any. the little thing in the intake cannot be good for air flow, so it should help. !egr and !air should save a few pounds also.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Why did it say "non-sponsor" when I typed NON_SPONSOR? ....... or i mean Quarter M Perform?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:18 AM
Launching!

I have done an egr block off kit on my ss, for 2000 and earlier there are four plates, this provided an extrmeme amout of more power, for the 35- 45 $ I spent on the purchase off of ebay, u may add a few ounces of wieght if u keep the pump and all the tubbing on the car, firist u disconnect the tubes connectinting to the top of the headers( do this when the car is cold, let it sit overnight and do this in the morning) and move them out of the way, then disconnect the A.I.R. tube connecting to the lower part of the headers on the passenger side of the engine, stick the block off plate ove the hole and use the stock bolts to tighten them up and use washers, then bolt up the other tubes that u dissconnected from the upper headers using the other block off plates, disconnect the egr tube from the intake and plugg it with the intake block off plate, finally disconnect the go between from the throttle body to the A.I.R. tube from the front of the block of your engine. I gain a lot more power than I thought I would, One reason would be that it takes a while before the engine heats up, ur oil is warm but engine is cold, perfect for racing.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Phynix - The EGR/AIR systems do nothing to heat or cool your engine, nor do they reduce power at WOT.

EGR adds inert CO2 from the exhaust in order to bring down cylinder temperature under load. This reduces NOX emmisions while reducing power and economy. However, EGR is not active at WOT.

AIR adds outside air to the catalytic convertors for about 30 seconds at engine start up. Typically, a cold engine runs rich at start up and extra air is needed to "fire off" the catalytic convertors. This system does not run at WOT, only for about 30 sec at startup.

The only positive fom removal is weight reduction and cleaner internals. The negative is increasing polution and violating federal law.

Search this Thread