Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E3 spark plug Diamond Fire? Any thoughts? Flame on

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E3 spark plug Diamond Fire? Any thoughts? Flame on

You can flame me and call me what ever you want. I currently have NGK TR55's.

That being said, I was reading about these new plugs, that say and average of 6% power increase and 3% to 13% fuel consumption reduction. I know on paper that plugs are supposed to be plugs. The difference I see with these(that may make a hint of a difference) is that they shoot the spark out into the combustion chamber, rather than having it mushroom out on a conventional plug.

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/techoverview.asp

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad...ew/Pyrotek.pdf

Flame On. Oh, I already searched also, only seems to be one topic at another board, and not much info there.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

conventionally, the only cars that have hp gains by changing plugs are mustangs/civics to my knowledge over ngk's. put a set of those in a 4.6 and they'll produce around 9000 hp . the spark plug is not intended to gain much performance, 6% sounds dumb... unless it comes with an aftermarket camshaft
Old 03-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Thank you for the constructive post. Please instruct me to put stickers on and a NAWS sticker.

Like I said, I know on paper a plug is a plug. If that's the case, than why does a majority use NGK's? Not like their the cheapest or anything.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

General.....calm down man! check out the post count. he's new around here!!

plugs are plugs, except for different technologies. some burn hotter, some burn out quicker. i haven't seen many plugs come out that actually make a car faster yet. even those $12 a plug funny plugs didn't shave tenths off IIRC. dyno race all ya want....
Old 03-14-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by General Z
they shoot the spark out into the combustion chamber, rather than having it mushroom out on a conventional plug.
Que..?
Old 03-14-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

so how much are they? most people here crapped in their pants when a few of us bought BRISK spark plugs for 80 dlls a set a few months ago.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Launching!

$8.99 a piece. might be better than brisk.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by technical
Que..?
check the diagram on the website to see what I mean. They show the spark on a conventional and a spark on the new style. Looks like a big difference. in shape and direction.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still think that the BRISK design looks more efficient.
Attached Thumbnails E3 spark plug Diamond Fire?  Any thoughts?  Flame on-brisk2.jpg  
Old 03-15-2005, 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ddelallata
I still think that the BRISK design looks more efficient.
The Brisk looks nice, but don't get me wrong, doesn't it look terribly similar to this...
Attached Thumbnails E3 spark plug Diamond Fire?  Any thoughts?  Flame on-zuendkerze_bosch.jpg  
Old 03-15-2005, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

it looks nothing like that in this next pic. notice how the spark travels downward to reach the ground electrode?
Attached Thumbnails E3 spark plug Diamond Fire?  Any thoughts?  Flame on-brisk.jpg  
Old 03-15-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

check the diagram on the website to see what I mean. They show the spark on a conventional and a spark on the new style. Looks like a big difference. in shape and direction.
Marketing fluff...The arc/spark will not go past the electrode itself. Maybe the heat of the spark (minimal) but not the spark itself.

I've seen some crazy spark plug designs over the years and no one has yet to make good on their claims. One day...
Old 03-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Launching!

What benefit does Brisk have by making the spark go down? I see it has 4 possible positions to go to. I guess it also does expose more of the spark to the combustion chamber. More benefits?
Old 03-15-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

It's mostly a game of catching enough molecules to ignite the mixture. From there it's a chain reaction. The spark will only go to one electrode at a time per power stroke. It won't bounce around. So in comparison...a stock plug will probably arc farther into the chamber due to the large gap vs. the smaller, limited gap achieved by the multiple side electrodes.

Another noteworthy "quirk" of electricity is that it is completely unpredictable. There is no guarantee that an arc won't try to jump from the center electrode (as it wears) to the post of the side electrode if that path is of least resistance temporarily.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by technical
It's mostly a game of catching enough molecules to ignite the mixture. From there it's a chain reaction. The spark will only go to one electrode at a time per power stroke. It won't bounce around. So in comparison...a stock plug will probably arc farther into the chamber due to the large gap vs. the smaller, limited gap achieved by the multiple side electrodes.

Another noteworthy "quirk" of electricity is that it is completely unpredictable. There is no guarantee that an arc won't try to jump from the center electrode (as it wears) to the post of the side electrode if that path is of least resistance temporarily.
true,

and how would you Gap a plug like that it extends beyond the electrode?
Old 03-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Launching!

There would be no gapping. I am sure you put it on how it comes. Likely no need for gapping, as it would be fixed and pre-set.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

A few months ago there was a post on a Ford or Mustang site about spark plugs that didn't have a side electrode. I don't remember their name nor do remember how they were suppose to work. The Ford guys stated 5hp increase or similar. But I haven't heard anything since. I wouldn't be surprised if the post was started by company that made the plugs trying to create a buzz.

Either way...I'll stick with regular plugs. When I worked for BMW, there were some cars that came from the factory with the weirdest plug design I ever saw. Needless to say..we had to replace them all with "normal" plugs since every one of those cars would run like crap with the funky plugs.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Default Diggin up the Dead

But....Anyone using these now? Looks like they have perfected their deisgn off the originals and am curious how they would work in the LS1....
Old 08-17-2009, 03:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The last time I saw a multi-strap plug fix a problem was during WW2 (look it up, that's where Bosch got the idea....planes were falling out of the sky because at high RPM they were ruining plugs...so once an electrode was eroded too much, it had a new strap with the right gap set to jump to until it got eroded, then went to the next, etc and they could stay in the fight longer). Those planes were turning some serious RPM for extended periods of time though!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, I already searched also, only seems to be one topic at another board, and not much info there.

There are more than one E3 threads in this forum. The E3 plug has been discussed in detail. I have had positive results when testing the E3 over the past few years after receiving a free set. This is discussed in one of the other threads. IMO, there isn't much differece between using an E3 & drilling the ground strap below the electrode on an NGK TR55, TR6 or whatever NGK plug is used. All of my cars use NGK's w/ a drilled through ground strap except the VW of which is still running the E3's. In general, this is discussed in another thread as well.

I saw that brisk plugs were mentioned in this thread. I never got any positive results from Brisks & actually had reduced results. The same can be said when I tried copper Autolite's. Mention this as reference info only.

Quick Reply: E3 spark plug Diamond Fire? Any thoughts? Flame on