Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start! Where are the guru's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Won't start! Where are the guru's?

The car is a 1998 Firebird. Ok, list of events to current problem are:

Cam swap
LS6 intake swap

Problem is:

After install car drove fine for a couple hours. On my way home that night the car would misfire, loss power, and surged. All power gone, then it would come back hard like I was stomping on the gas. Did some searching and found out that is commom for bad o2 sensors, and also found that one of the plug wires were not connected all the way. Fixed both of those, and took it for a ride. The blinking SES light for multiple misfires went away, and so did the surgeing as far as I know. BUT still NO power. We get it home and check for spark on from the coil packs. There were 4 on one side fireing and the other 4 were not!!

We have tested all grounds, checked all connections (coil packs. fuel injectors, back of the intake, back of the heads) and can not find anything that doesn't have power or is not grounded. The engine is a swapped LS1 into a 3.8 car, so the fuse boxes did not have both injector fuses. However, they were jumped so they would work, and that has been checked as well.

Please help out with any other suggestions. My friends and I are at total loss and now the car will not even start. I will try anything at this point. Thanks in advance ...
Old 03-16-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

sounds like that jury rigged fuse isn't actually working. i'd try and use a true ls1 fuse assy, but thats my preference. i know i've seen ls1's run on 4cyl's and thats exactly what you're describing(besides the obvious fact that you said one side isn't sparking). double check the connection to the coil packs, then the fuse. make sure that ghetto rig you made to that fuse is also grounded. again....i'd try to use an ls1 assy if possible.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Well the car has ran like that for almost 2 years until the most recent cam install. I checked all power and ground to this and it's working fine.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:48 AM
TECH Resident

Anybody else got any ideas?
Old 03-17-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

What cam did you put in? and did you get the car tuned afterwards?
Other than that...did you mess up the MAP sensor in the back of the intake?
Old 03-17-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

have any vacuum leaks goin on? is your vacuum hose from the rear of the intake connected to the brake booster fully?
Old 03-18-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

I did the 233/239 cam, and it's not tuned yet. Was supposed to have it tuned last Tues. but the car was not running. I don't think it's a tuning issue though since the car ran fine and started before. Yep, checked the booster connection and all sensors on the back.

And as far as I know there are not any vacuum leaks. A leak would not prevent it from starting though would it?
Old 03-18-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

There is a possibility that the plugs are fouled from driving it untuned.

The one bank of coils is still not firing?
Old 03-18-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

is the side that is not sparking plugged in?
Old 03-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Check to see if the coil packs on that side are flipped 180 degrees. I have seen it happed before. They don't realize it when the are putting the car back together.
-matt