Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug install help.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug install help.

A friend of mine is swapping plugs right now on his LS1. I am not there, so I am not sure on all the details. He can't get to the two middle passenger plugs. I am not sure what is in the way. It sounds like possibly the EGR and/or coil packs. Any easy solutions to get these out? He already has the demon #8 out.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:50 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...g_and_wire.htm
Old 03-18-2005, 10:55 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Yeah 8 is the worst for sure, Its probley the coil packs, doesnt sound like egr to me. Anyway they are both really easy to remove. I think there are like 5 bolts on each side of the packs. On the passenger side though, one of the bolts is in the very back, and is a major PITA to get too. when puting everything back together just tell him to leave it out so he doesnt have to deal with it again.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be that is about where the egr pipe is. If that is the case all he needs to do is loosen the pipe that goes into the manifold. Use an extension and a 10mm and that will take care of that. As far as the coil overs, he can loosen up the front 4 bolts with a 10mm deep well socket and the fith one is like the "demon" 8, he will need a small open 10mm wrench and slowly loosen this one up, once loose he can move the coil overs up and out of the way for a little more room.
Changing the spark plugs you have to be delicate not to break them or you will have to go back over and replace them. If he over torques the plugs they will break. As far as the plug wires, just yank them out(brute strength). Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Passenger side middle 2 plugs it could be the dip stick tube it the way, if it is just take the bolt out of the head and pivot the tube out of the way.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:53 AM

What JRP said. installuniversity.com has nice pics and step by step instructions. Even a moron can do it with their help.

Search this Thread