Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling system nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling system nightmare

Just purchased this car about three weeks ago. Its a 1998 z28. I had a cam/converter/N20 1999 car I sold two years ago. I now I wanted back in an f-body. This car has the funtional temp quage. And it sits on 170-180 constant and will jump to 210-220 fairly quickly and then gradually fall back down. This car is stone stock and has 63,000 miles and the previous owner kept records on it verging on the insane (every oilchange, almost every gas fillup)

Well, I drive it on a 900 mile trip and when i arrive home then next day it is overflowing coolent and alot of it. Check the coolent level once it cools and its good in the overflow but a 1/2 gallon down in the radiator. Well, I top it off and bleed the system. It has not overflowed since but everyday i have to add a pint or a quart to the radiator (the overflow reads high) but radiator is down. Anyways, no oil in coolent, no coolent in oil..... And no sign on the plugs of coolent. It just dissapears?

My quess is it is coming out of the overflow while i drive. The quage does not go more than 220 and 95% of the time its 175. Here is somthing else interesting for yall... When I bleed the system, (on an incline with heater on) and U start the car with the cap open the coolent damn near spills out even if its low. And if i rev the motor (niagra falls!!!) My '99 never did such a thing, the coolent level would actually go down a bit.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Have you bled your coolant system? Also make sure the petcock valve isnt open. Thats where I would start
Old 03-20-2005, 10:30 PM
wrencher

I dunno could also possible be a head gasket. You rev it & it causes coolant to come flying out? Could be signs of the gaskets. Then the fact it is loosing coolant mysteriously with out overheating also points to possible head gasket. You can test for combustion gases in the cooling system w/a CO tester.
Most places sell them for about $40. It is a for sure test for combustion gases getting into the cooling system.
Another thing you can do is pull the plugs, see if you have a real clean plug< coolant will do this to a problem cylinder.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:04 AM
aaw
Teching In

check your radiator cap.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Launching!

If ya start it up and it's cold it shouldn't blow coolant out! I would think the head gaskets may be at fault. Have someone run a pressure test on the coolant system. Good luck!