Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puzzling problem with C5 Driveline . . . need brainstorm from C5 guys !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Puzzling problem with C5 Driveline . . . need brainstorm from C5 guys !!

Ok,

I purchased a 2001 Z06 that was damaged in an accident ( front end , very light with no effect on the drivetrain ) . The Mechanic shop had dropped out the drivetrain for inspection of the frame decided againsed fixing the car so they re assembled the car ( quickly by the looks of some items ) and it went up for auction or whatever. ( I can see where they had the bell housing apart etc and had dropped the craddle )

My problem is in the driveline, I went to install my cam and couldnt get the pulley bolt out because it would just keep spinning ( In 4th gear with the ebrake on ) I did end up getting it out by jamming the flywheel but Im haunted by this problem.

Heres what I know about the problem through troubleshooting so far ;

IT IS NOT THE CLUTCH DISC SLIPPING !! I marked the disc, flywheel and pressure plate with anti sieze and turned it over by hand, all the items turn together with no slipping of the clutch disc.

The rear wheels are not turning whith the car in 4th and the ebrake off ( this seems to indicate a problem somewhere behind the clutch but before the axles

Everything looks tight as far as component assembly , bellhousing >> torque tube >> other **** in back

Shifter is connected to the Torque tube linkage ( would have been too easy )

Is there anything that the shop may have left un connected that would give these sympyoms ?? Is it possible to have miss aligned an input shaft ?? Is it possible to have the clutch/ flywheel/ pressure plate assembly in all wrong so that it looks like its working normally from the inspection cover but its actually not connecting to the driveshaft ??

Old 03-20-2005, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

ttt for you
Old 03-20-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill add another symptom,

When I turn the rear axles with a bar the oposite side turns as normal but inside the drivetrain area ( not in the actual getrag rear diff but further up stream by the torque tube ) it makes a "click click click click click " or more like "thump thump thump thump thump " sound like the splines of an input shaft ( best guess ) and theres a noticible resistance with each "thump" . . . . I gues I will start dis assembly

Last edited by JoeDirt; 03-20-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:11 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Make sure the shifter bolts aren't loose and the linkage bolt is tight (its slotted and may not go completely into gears if loose). Thats all I could think of besides internal stuff.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definatly getting fully into gear , shifter feels good