Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking?

I finished my LS6 intake install yesterday and barely took out for a drive. The problem is my oil pressure gauge is not working and I hear a knocking which increases with acceleration. It's not the oil pressure gauge that bothers me, its the knocking. What could it be and how do I fix it?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Launching!

MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! You better hope you just didnt bomb your enigne! You said your not worried about the oil pressure gauge not working. Well you better damn be worried because you may actually have no oil pressure. That definitely will be causing some knocking and some real damage. Start double checking stuff, best way to see if oil is moving through the engine would be to pull valve cover start the engine (may be messy) and see if its pumping over the rockers and all. You better figure that out RIGHT AWAY! Good Luck man hope you didnt bomb it.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Teching In

What could I have broken or missed that would cause my oil pressure to be messed up?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:00 PM
Launching!

The oil pressure sending unit is a common break on the intake install. Its a long black sensor that goes into back of the block. Check to see if thats broken, you may need to do this install all over again. Im hoping for you thats all thats broken and its not that your engine is getting no oil.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98blackgold
What could I have broken or missed that would cause my oil pressure to be messed up?

you might have broken the oil pressure sending unit or you oil pump has died. Oil pump failure is somewhat common and will manifest as a knocking sound. Get that stuff checked out quick.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Teching In

I just finished removing the intake and everything seems to be fine and intact. Is the oil pressure sending unit attacked to the very back of the block? If it is, then that seems to be fine also. I don't understand how my oil pump could have failed, everything was normal before I changed the intake. Also, at the time that I took the car for a drive, I had forgotten to completely tighten the block off plate for the EGR on the passenger side header. Could this have anything to do with it.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98blackgold
I don't understand how my oil pump could have failed, everything was normal before I changed the intake.
those that have reported oil pump failure mentioned no apparent cause or signs that it was about to fail. it also fails on start-up as opposed to during normal operation. Failure to plug the EGR would just cause eradic idle issues. Try taking a valve cover off to see if any oil is being pumped up to the valve train like someone else mentioned.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Teching In

I finished putting the intake back on and started her up. No knocking, only ticking. I didn't take her for a drive but did leave her on for a few minutes. Oil pressure is still at zero. The knocking occurred last time after I began driving the car, not on start up, not even at operating temperature. Is this normal?
Old 03-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Launching!

DUDE seriously take the valve cover off, start the engine, and check to see if oil is being pumped through!!!! This is critical man or youll be buying a Honda soon. Good Luck!