Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header self install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default header self install?

I have the SLP headers and y pipe. I also got the header install pack from SLP. That all I have. I really want to do the install myself(with the help of my brother).. Is there anything else I need? I have no welding equipment. Should I take off my cats and leave them off? What should I do?

Thanks.
Justin
Old 03-22-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

u dont need anything else...aside from a lot of patience. did u get the non-emissions headers and y-pipe? just so u know they suck going in!!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Damn.. look forward to it. I'll be doing it on a lift so hopefully that will help a little
Old 03-22-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

def. will. it took me and a friend about 6 hours in the cold on jack stands to do it. make sure you look up how to install them before you get started. try to find all the tricks. if you want some of them just pm me and ill give you some - matt
Old 03-22-2005, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Slp driver side is no dig deal... take off the stearing arm and maybe the oil filter.. bang them a little with your hands and they should go in... The passender side is gay as can be... unbolt the tranny mount but keep the tranny supported around stock heigth. Get a pry-bar and have someone else pry on the tranny towards the driverside. this shold give you enough room to get the header in place.. will still take some banging but it will go... You can raise and lower the tranny a little to find the most room you can get... Get rid of the cats.. dont need them.

Once they are on the car and you get tired of them dragging on everything I'll tell you how to install the kooks headers.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

I'll be doing it on a lift so hopefully that will help a little
That will help A LOT .

Kevin
Old 03-22-2005, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

I did my SLP headers with myself and 2 other people. I don't know why everyone says these headers are so hard to install. They aren't that bad. Make sure you tug on them from the top too. Let us know how difficult you found these to put in.