Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's my coated Pacesetters after less than a year

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Here's my coated Pacesetters after less than a year

I was under the car changing my oil yesterday and was shocked to look at my headers. They're coated Pacesetter longtubes on my daily driver. The car saw a lot of rain, a bit of snow, and other elements of weather since around last July. First of all, YES I knew this would happen, I just didn't know it would happen so quick. And yes I will buy some stainless ones when these are shot (likely after next winter) And just so you know, I even hosed them off any time salt or snow got on them and tried to dry them if they got wet from rain.

Driver's side:

And the passenger side is hideous!

Like I said, I knew it would happen, just not this soon. I guess I can look forward to spending $1000 on stainless ones now.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't feel bad. I just checked mine today and after only 3 months my pass side looks like your drivers side. The drivers side looks fine though. I am really disappointed in this.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Teching In

I was kind of on the fence as to whether or not I wanted to spend an extra $100 to get the coated ones or not (when I finally get headers). After looking at this, I think I'll save my money and just throw some paint on the uncoated ones.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Save money and time and get a nice set of Kooks/QTP in stainless. This is my third set of headers and I know what my fourth will be.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

OMG Thanks for being honest and letting others know and see. I was about to get coated LT's . I live in Philly and we have lots of rain/snow/salt during the year. I dont have a garage . No doubt Ill go for the xtra $$$ to get stainless after seeing that. So what is the best fitting stainless longtube for the $$ ? I need them to have all emmisions hookups .
Old 03-25-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kooks or QTP.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

man, im glad i changed to stainless when i did...sorry to hear bout that scotty but as they say, "lessons learned"

Jon
Old 03-26-2005, 03:04 AM
On The Tree

That is rediculous! Less than a year old? What was the point of the coating on them if it can't last over a year? Pacesetter should refund your money. I'm sorry about the bad luck man.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

WOW! I've had my coated Pacesetter LT's for a year and they still look almost brand new! NOTHING like those! Those almost don't even look coated. I wish I had a digital camara on hand and time to take pics of mine. Of course, I don't drive my car everywhere all the time in rain and such. It's just a pretty weather car. Sorry about the luck!
Old 03-26-2005, 03:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just finished reading the bottom part of your post and you mentioned salt, as in salt water. Yep, if you've been driving near or on the beach or around salt water, coated or not, it's bound to happen.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:58 AM
11 Second Club

Wow I hope mine dont turn out like that. I have had mine less then 3 weeks. i will keep a eye on them. Sorry
Old 03-26-2005, 03:59 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Get stainless ! You'll keep replacing headers until you do!
Old 03-26-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverStreak1830
man, im glad i changed to stainless when i did...sorry to hear bout that scotty but as they say, "lessons learned"

Jon
its not like the headers will be rusted threw soon.
im my 1981 Z/28, i drove around for 5 years with non stainless headers.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by setxws6
I just finished reading the bottom part of your post and you mentioned salt, as in salt water. Yep, if you've been driving near or on the beach or around salt water, coated or not, it's bound to happen.
Dude, as a transplant from CA to KS, let me explain to you what I've learned about salt ... there are no beaches or salt water in KS or MO - they put salt on the roads to melt snow and ice and it eats up metal.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

we all get what we pay for. QTP for da long run. Pacesetters for da bang. I got Hookers but its no diff they are only coated. I knew dat from the start. I will eventually have to buy dem stainless ones next time too. Lets just hope these last me 2yrs or so.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is on ET streets, it doesn't even know what rain is/never seen it before. Pacesetters, over a year old cleaned by hand once so far... they're just now barely starting to get little specs of fallout. I'm expecting to get about 6yrs out of 'em. Scotty will probably get around 3yrs.
See how much rust is under your car then decide how long they'll last you. Personally, I don't think the super-duper chrome armor plating is better than the high temp black stuff...they both suck .

Fram also sucks..."Scotty dont"(Dr. Evil)...use Fram
Old 03-26-2005, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

the coatings that come on the pacesetter's is like a paint on type coating and doesn't last long from what I was told. I talked to a guy at thermal tech coatings (local to me), and the type of coating they use is they put the headers in an oven, and the coating they use actually soaks into the metal and they say actually lasts longer. My QTP's (old mild steel type) look worse then that, and I dont know if they are even worth re coating because they are rusted so bad. I may go with something like edelbrocks and get them coated by the guys at thermal tech. I would recommend getting your pacetters recoated instead of spending more money on QTP's or Kook's, I mean Kook's and QTP's are top notch headers, but I think the pacetters are just as nice, but they aren't stainless. I think if you take off the headers and get them recoated at thermal tech, they will last at least 3 or 4 years, plus the coating they use looks much nicer then the pacesetter coatings. They charge like $240 for stripping and recoating, which isn't bad at all I say. No, I don't work for Thermal Tech, but I've seen there work and I have some of their work and it looks and performs beautifully, just trying to give you an alternative. Thermal Tech advertises in all the magazine's (super chevy, PHR, etc.) Check out there website, Not-A-Sponor
Old 03-26-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought mine uncoated and had them coated, most shops that offer coatings give a 3 year warranty with them and you can get them coated inside and out.. I did mine this way for three reasons..
1. Remove EGR tube
2. Install Ball Flanges
3. Better quality of coating w/ warranty
Old 03-26-2005, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flipper
I bought mine uncoated and had them coated, most shops that offer coatings give a 3 year warranty with them and you can get them coated inside and out.. I did mine this way for three reasons..
1. Remove EGR tube
2. Install Ball Flanges
3. Better quality of coating w/ warranty
yea that's another thing, the coatings on the pacesetter's are coated only on the outside, but the thermal tech coating is done outside AND inside....
Old 03-26-2005, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

my Jethots got like that too... i sold them and went QTPs!..they look great and kick ***!

Quick Reply: Here's my coated Pacesetters after less than a year