Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about FLP install

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about FLP install

I've been looking around for some time for a deal on headers, and I finally stumbled in to one over on Ls1.com I was able to pick up a complete set of FLP headers, cats, ORY, Clamps and Y pipe for a really good price, but I got some questions concerns.

1) Should I go with the CATs or no? I know if I don't go with the CATsI will need the 02 sims. Which is fine, but is it THAT much of a difference between the two? Also O2 extensions...do I need them and if so, should I get the 12 or the 24 inch.

2) I know the FLPs arent SS, any reason why I should send or shouldn't them to JET HOT for a new coating? The coating on them now is in pretty good shape from the pictures so is this just a waste of cash?

3) Gaskets? My car has 37xxx on it now, should I be looking at new gaskets or use my stockers? If i should get new ones, should I go to GM or is there a better gasket?

4) When I bought my car the guy had a borla put on it. I don't know for sure if its a 2.5" or a 3" I pipe. I can't find anything on Borla's site about size so I'm kinda of stuck.

And the reason I'm stuck is if it's a 3 inch pipe I am going to have to get a new Y pipe made I would assume cause the FLP will be too small.

Any ideas on any of these would be a big help fellas.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

1) Should I go with the CATs or no? No cats will produce more power, but NJ emissions isn't going to like it.

2) I know the FLPs arent SS, any reason why I should send or shouldn't them to JET HOT for a new coating? The coating will probably flake off anyway.

3) Gaskets? New GM gaskets.

4) When I bought my car the guy had a borla put on it. I don't know for sure if its a 2.5" or a 3" I pipe. Borla has a 3" i-pipe as does the FLP y-pipe. They should fit.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont forget to grind down the head of the oil drain bolt, or you will never be able to get it off with those headers