Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stealth mods????

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stealth mods????

ha ....well heres the problem...What im looking to do to my 00 Z28 probably isnt referred to as stealth mods, but I live at home til next semester and my parents are against me modding up my car even though they bought it for me for graduation Anyways, I have SLP loudmouth on it and want to do other mods that my dad wont find easily. I have in mind gutting the cats (the service engine light is already on saying they are operating low), ported throttle body, etc.??? not sure what else? I know this might sound like a dumb question to some of you experts out there, but any advice would help until I can get out of the house Thanks for your help...

-Philip
Old 03-30-2005, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

well my advice would be ditch the LM and put on somethind quieter and get LT's or Mac Midlenghts. You can do Gears and a T/A Girdle, suspension, tires, Air Lid (or cut out the inside of the stock one to smoothe it out), Auto can get a Higher stall torque converter, M6 can get a short throw shifter and a !CAGS.

There are many things that can be done to make it more stealthy, you can even add a STEALTH cam. I recommend not doing anything to the cats like removing or gutting them w/ SLP loudmouth it will become extremeley raspy, if it isnt already! my SLP large diameter Y i think made it raspy, but made it deeper and slightly more refined through the range.

Just the little things mainly boltons
-Adam
Old 03-30-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

Well you already put a loud exhaust on it, so you might as well not try to hide anything anymore. You could get a lid and a tune from www.madz28.com or from one of the sponsors here, otherwise, put your money toward long tubes and true duals. They will sound MUCH better with zero rasp and a deeper tone. Those are hard to notice, especially if you get an SLP lid that was a factory option. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, but it helps buying your own car. I'm hoping my duals get in so I can get them on before my parents come home from vacation. I know they won't like me coming home with open headers.

Jason
Old 03-30-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Veteran

jus slap a blower on it and say its always made that weird whining sound seriously tho, quieter exhaust, LT's, ORY, mad suspension work including SFC's, maybe hide a nitrous system in there somwhere, an ls6 intake, and nething else u can think of
Old 03-30-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get an LS6 intake (it looks identical to your ls1 intake)
Get your tb ported.
Rear end
Suspension

That should hold you off untill your out of the house.
Then work on long tubes and cam
Old 03-30-2005, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gears,Ported TB,Lid, and a pulley. If you plan on doing a cam in the future just wait till them to do the pulley.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Head's lol. You wanted stealth, thats about as stealth as you can get. He wont notice anything unless hes a street racer and can tell that the heads have been off the car.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for all the help...the only reason why I got the LM was because the previous owner must of hit something backing up or driving over some object....dented up the stock muffler...so my dad let me get the LM because of the stainless steel quality and price. I was new to sports cars when I got it so probably now would of gotten something different. I have heard an 00' LS1 firebird with no cats and LM and it sounds good...not too much rasp to me, but hey im driving it so if I like it ill do it. Thanks again for all your help...and future advice is always appreciated.

-Philip
Old 03-30-2005, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

3.42 gears, ls6 cam and internals, macs (I suggest switching to a quieter muffler), pulleys, intake, drag radials you can hide in your closet, the list goes on.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Well I already have a plan of getting the following...you experts out there tell me what you think....Ported throttle body, modifying the stock lid for now(taking out the slits under the lid?), and an LS6 intake manifold for the induction, and then gutting the cats or high flow cats for the exhaust for now....any comments or suggestions?? Thanks

-Philip
Old 03-30-2005, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

sounds good but for 2 things. I'd get an aftermarket lid over any modification on your stocker. The restriction is not the fins but the shape of the mouth to the throttle body. Also, gutted cats sound like poop IMO.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Things you can do in a day-dremel the fins on the underside of your airlid, look up the Free Ram Air mod FRA(also done with a dremel) then the ported tb.
Do you live in an area where you don't have to get emissions tested?If you do don't gut your cats.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the advice...I live in Texas and hear its only a visual test, not a sniff test of anything. I got it recently inspected and they didnt seem to look for or smell for increased exhaust fumes. Anybody in Texas or in the Austin, San Antonio region heard or seen different??

-Philip