Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed spark plugs now exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changed spark plugs now exhaust leak?

Last week I changed my plugs and on the passenger side I took off the y-pipe to get to the third and fourth plugs. I tightened it down as much as I could and now I have what I think is an exhaust leak... on the drivers side! I can't hear it at idle only when it's under throttle and it's definitely on the drivers side. It is confusing me because I touched nothing on that side but I am positive that is where it's coming from. A little help...
Old 04-03-2005, 10:19 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by formula87350
Last week I changed my plugs and on the passenger side I took off the y-pipe to get to the third and fourth plugs. I tightened it down as much as I could and now I have what I think is an exhaust leak... on the drivers side! I can't hear it at idle only when it's under throttle and it's definitely on the drivers side. It is confusing me because I touched nothing on that side but I am positive that is where it's coming from. A little help...
I don't know if you have headers? I don't know why you would remove the Y pipe with the stock exhaust for spark plug removal. I would stongly suspect that the leak is occuring where the Y pipe attaches to the pass side exhaust manifold/header since you had just removed it. You may have to replace a gasket if it is the stock exhaust. You can also take it back apart and put some extreme hi temperature silicone if it a slip joint header then reclamp it.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you remove your AIR tubes in the process? Becuase if you put them back on with the same gaskets, they can give you that lovely exhaust leak tick. I had to go back and get new gaskets a couple of times after plug changes becuase of that.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NightHawk
I had to go back and get new gaskets a couple of times after plug changes becuase of that.
yup, what he said