Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looks like a snapped a header bolt of in the head

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 12:18 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looks like a snapped a header bolt of in the head

it sticks out about 1/4 of an inch. i tried to use vise grips on the end of the stud but it just wont turn. any suggestions???? thanks pat
Old 04-03-2005, 01:11 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I came across this thread a while ago, hope that this helps you out. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/291860-broke-header-bolt-off-head.html
Old 04-03-2005, 04:47 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

will this damage anything running the car like this or does it need to be fixed right away
Old 04-03-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that was my car that had the broken header bolt,mine was the one in the back, so i didnt drive it around because i didnt want to bend the header flange, but if its one of the bolts in the middle you can get away with it for a while, you will have an exhaust leak though, my mechanic is fixing the car right now so ill let you know what worked for him on getting the bolt out.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

You can pull it out with an Easy Out or you could drive it to a shop and have them weld a bolt onto the end of the broken bolt, then you could back it out normally. Either way you'll need to get the threads cleaned up inside the head.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:59 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by elite22xl
that was my car that had the broken header bolt,mine was the one in the back, so i didnt drive it around because i didnt want to bend the header flange, but if its one of the bolts in the middle you can get away with it for a while,out.
the bolt is at the end of the flange looks like ill have to pull the head doh
Old 04-03-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

is there a 1/4" sticking out from the header flange or the head itself? you could use something like this.http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog craftsman makes a set of extractors just like this.you will have to make sure there is a small enough one in the set to grab the bolt shank,seeing that the head is gone , i believe there should be. i have a set but am not home right now, or i would help you out. good luck! proceed to auburn mall
Old 04-03-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mechanic is a frekin nut, he can get the bolt out without pulling the head. at this point i dont care what happens as long as i dont know about it and it doesnt leak when i get it back
Old 04-03-2005, 07:02 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hondo
is there a 1/4" sticking out from the header flange or the head itself? you could use something like this.http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog craftsman makes a set of extractors just like this.you will have to make sure there is a small enough one in the set to grab the bolt shank,seeing that the head is gone , i believe there should be. i have a set but am not home right now, or i would help you out. good luck! proceed to auburn mall
I have set of those but none are small enough thanks for the offer