Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine dying after header install

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dying after header install

just installed mac mids, car died a couple times that night and wouldnt crank back up for awhile. Is this the pcm relearning/ adjusting? Also im getting a p0118 code and my fans are staying on after i kill the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes the pcm is probably relearning, but that shouldn't cause whats happening. Did you change plugs and/or wires? Also are your o2s correctly hooked up?
When you say it wouldn't "crank back up" did it turn over at all? or was there nothing?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

the coolant temp. sensor is a thermistor ( a resistor which varies the value of the resisitance in accordance w/ temp changes). the change in the resistance value directll affect the voltage signal from the coolant thermosensor. as the sensor temp DECREASES, the resistance will INCREASE. and vise versa.
A failure in the coolant sensor circuit should set either a code 14 or 15.
these indicate a failure in the coolant temp circuit,so the appropriate solution to the problem will be either repair of a wire or replacement of the sensor.
the sensor can also be checked with an ohmmeter, by measuring its resistance when cold, then warming up the engine and taking another reading. like u stated that it wont start use a hair dryer to heat it up and check the ohm's. cold ohm;s should be around 5,700 to 2,200. when heated it will be lower then you'r coldest reading. look to see if maybe you broke the wire off the sensor. its on the front leftside of the water pump. hope this helps .

cowboysfan
Old 04-03-2005, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

yes i did replace plugs and wires and used o2 sims. ive driven it tonight and it seems to be doing fine so far, it has hunted for idle a few times but no dying and it was turning over just not starting. i did just find that the coolant temp is cracked. ive noticed the y pipe bangin on the floor on the drivers side and the driver side collector leaking a lil, but from what ive read this seems to be very common with the mac mids and y pipe.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Double and triple check your plug wires. Then check 'em again. All of 'em (yup even #8).

I had a similar problem. The wire on plug number 8 was off.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ls1_axxxman
yes i did replace plugs and wires and used o2 sims. ive driven it tonight and it seems to be doing fine so far, it has hunted for idle a few times but no dying and it was turning over just not starting. i did just find that the coolant temp is cracked. ive noticed the y pipe bangin on the floor on the drivers side and the driver side collector leaking a lil, but from what ive read this seems to be very common with the mac mids and y pipe.
There is no such thing as a direct bolt on. They all have to be tweaked. Just pry down on the Y-pipe on the driver side while a buddy tightens the bolts. That should fix this banging problem. As for the stumbling thing, make sure you let the car idle for a bit before you try and drive it. It does have to re-learn it's idle.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

May seem like a dumb question, did you made sure the sim's are plugged into the rear o2 locations? I've seen that mistake before.

Also if you've not done it, reset the pcm and do the idle relearn procedure. All the info will show up in a search if you need it.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the help guys, im new to the forum and so far its helped a lot. i think the car was just relearning because ive driven it more and no probs so far. im gonna work on the y pipe prob today sometime.