Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone done a complete engine-tranny install in one shot

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone done a complete engine-tranny install in one shot

completely apart now. would it be best to go back a piece at a time or all at once? Any help would be appreciated. Installing a new 408 iron block with a 400 turbo.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since they are both out, drop the k-member now and install it all at once.

If you can't drop the k-member, install from the top as one provided you have the front end on ramps ( for the height; the motor and trans have to be darn near vertical to start the install of both from the top ).
Old 04-04-2005, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Viper
Since they are both out, drop the k-member now and install it all at once.

If you can't drop the k-member, install from the top as one provided you have the front end on ramps ( for the height; the motor and trans have to be darn near vertical to start the install of both from the top ).
Yep. What he said. Did you pull out the motor? Or did you drop it out the bottom with the K-member? It's easier for it to all go in together if you have the ability of having it on a lift and just lowering the car back down on the completely engine/tranny/k-member.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be install the old fashion way.. but I don't recommend it. Did it once.. But IMO you need to get the motor and tranny too high in the air to be safe.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:47 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I once took out the windshield on a 62 Chevy reinstalling engine/tranny as a unit. I was working alone with everything suspended from a carport beam, LOL. Wonder how many carport/garage beams I've screwed up over the years doing engine swaps.