Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering line

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 01:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering line

I recently swapped my heads, and instead of removing the power steering system from the drivers head, i cut the power steering line (high pressure metal line) bc it was -10 degrees out and i was sick and tired and didnt have time to mess with it the right way. I figured this was something cheap to fix. now i have the heads back on, and i cant put the serpentine belt back on, bc it will drive the steering pump, and will burn the pump out bc the line is cut. besides paying the 100$ for the new line, what else can i do? i dont care about not having power steering for now, i just want to be able to put the belt back on so i can drive the car. can i get a shorter belt and bypass the steering all together???? can i just put a hose inplace from where the line exits the tank, and connect that to where it flows back into the tank, and put the belt back on???? weld the cut line shut?? lemme know what u think
Old 04-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Banned

no one knows????!????
Old 04-05-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Get the replacement hose. Any fix to the line will have to be done right and you probably don't have the means/equipment. Line pressure on a PS system is very high +1000psi. Any weakness in the line will cause it to rupture and throw PS fluid everywhere and possibly "through" things. At that pressure the fluid become a cutting tool.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Banned

If i was to get a shorter belt and bipass the steering for now, that would work, right??