Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Help Needed

I'm in the teardown phase of installing LS6 heads and cam in my 02 Z28 and the "quick disconnect" connector at the fuel rail won't release. I have the 3/8 inch plastic fuel line tool. I have removed the rubber dust cover. I am fitting the sleeve of the tool into the female connector and pressing as hard as I'm able on the flange of the tool while alternately pushing and pulling on the connector. I hear the expected click when I press the tool into the connector but it still won't come apart. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Gary
Old 04-05-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep playing with it. There are 4 metal tabs inside the connector at 12 3 6 and 9 oclock. Mine didnt come right away either. Just keep screwing with it. It will come.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Please don't take this the wrong way, but did you remove the extra metal locking clip? The reason I ask is that I didn't realize that it was a separate piece and I struggled to get it disconnected...my buddy, a mechanic, laughed as he removed the safety locker and quickly and easily disconnected the line...t'was a learning experience.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, these are a pain. It's a technique that's hard to explain. You gotta keep playing with it.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

Yes, I removed the clip that retains the rubber dirt seal and pulled the seal away from the connector. Thanks for the suggestions but I,m still stuck.

-Gary
Old 04-05-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

It is quite tricky...you have to push the fuel line onto the tool while pulling both off of the rail...I may not be explaining it correctly...here is a thread with several explanations:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ine+disconnect
Old 04-05-2005, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Lawman, your explaination is very clear and convinces me that my technique is correct however unsuccessful. Thanks for pointing me to that other thread - it helps with my embarrassment. It appears that the guy who started that thread gave up. I'll cut the line and install new plumbing before I give up. I'll try a different tool first.

-Gary

Last edited by Gary Z; 04-05-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Success at last. I ordered a SnapOn (Blue Point) FIH 9055-2 Disconnect Tool and had my fuel line off 10 seconds after I opened the box. I had made repeated unsuccessful attempts over a two day period with the plastic tool sold at Kragen. I haven't made careful measurements but it appears that the wall thickness of the plastic tool is insufficient to lift the tabs inside the connector over the ring on the solid fuel line.

-Gary

Quick Reply: Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Help Needed