Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Coating

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Coating

Is it truly needed? I am on a budget and everyone seems to be pushing me to get headers before anything else but I don't have that much cash to fork over at the moment. Would header wrap be just as good as coating? I was thinking about getting the uncoated pacesetter long tubes but I am just scared of burning plug wires like crazy. What do you guys think?
Old 04-06-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

back to the top...
Old 04-06-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 25thTransAm
Is it truly needed? I am on a budget and everyone seems to be pushing me to get headers before anything else but I don't have that much cash to fork over at the moment. Would header wrap be just as good as coating? I was thinking about getting the uncoated pacesetter long tubes but I am just scared of burning plug wires like crazy. What do you guys think?

Buy your headers uncoated now if ur strapped for cash, keep them for a while in your garage until you have more money and then have them sent out to jet hot . It will make the money problem a little easier. If you dont get them coated you'll highly regret it!
Old 04-06-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Lt14mla
Buy your headers uncoated now if ur strapped for cash, keep them for a while in your garage until you have more money and then have them sent out to jet hot . It will make the money problem a little easier. If you dont get them coated you'll highly regret it!
Well that was my biggest concern. I wouldn't have the time or money to do a header install twice either. I guess I will save up for coated ones from the start.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking about header coating....I just bought the coated Pacesetters. How much, if any, would it help to paint over the coating. You know, get a nice thick barrier between the coating and the road. Would this be beneficial at all? What could it hurt...? I have seen some pics of people's LT's after 6 months-1 year. Trying to avoid this if possible.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Definitely do not buy uncoated headers. At the very least buy coated headers. I only buy stainless steel...typically Kooks. Sure its a hit on the wallet, but the quality is top-notch and resale value stays.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:16 AM
On The Tree

I ordered some coated pacesetters, later that night I was up late looking on the internet and I found a guy named scotty-z. He had pic's of his coated pacesetters after 1 year. That was enough to make me get up early the next morning and cancel my order. Later in the week I found some flp stainless steel headers and picked these up in a flash. Dont know much about them but I do know they are stainless!
Old 04-07-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1evilss
I ordered some coated pacesetters, later that night I was up late looking on the internet and I found a guy named scotty-z. He had pic's of his coated pacesetters after 1 year. That was enough to make me get up early the next morning and cancel my order. Later in the week I found some flp stainless steel headers and picked these up in a flash. Dont know much about them but I do know they are stainless!
Wow, you're in my town. Are you a member of F.A.S.T? If so, I'll see you at a meet sometime (if I haven't already!). Since you're obviously right here in the same climate as me, it's probably much better that you cancelled your order (sorry Pacesetter) and got some stainless ones. I should've done that.

Hope to see you around sometime.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Definitely go coated. My friend has Flowtech Afterburners on his 79 Camaro, and after a month they looked like crap. Just be patient and save up the extra $100 for coated headers.

Jason
Old 04-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Launching!

We had the car on the lift a couple days ago, looking at the rear end, and was just disgusted at the coating on my Pacesetters. They're starting to really look like crap and they've only been on the car for a few months.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by john3daly
We had the car on the lift a couple days ago, looking at the rear end, and was just disgusted at the coating on my Pacesetters. They're starting to really look like crap and they've only been on the car for a few months.
yeah same here, one winter and there discusting. its even rusting at the flange :/
Old 04-07-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

That's why I bought my Pacesetters uncoated and took them to a local shop for the coating... their coating is much better than the coatings I've seen come on Pacesetters and Jet Hots.

If anyone's interested their website is performancecoatings.com. They are a little more expensive than getting it coated through a place like Jet Hots, but I kid you not, my headers still look pretty much the same as they did when they got coated over a year ago.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
That's why I bought my Pacesetters uncoated and took them to a local shop for the coating... their coating is much better than the coatings I've seen come on Pacesetters and Jet Hots.

If anyone's interested their website is performancecoatings.com. They are a little more expensive than getting it coated through a place like Jet Hots, but I kid you not, my headers still look pretty much the same as they did when they got coated over a year ago.
just buy jet hots...and get their 2000 series coating... the 2000 series is only $25 more than their sterling coating...and its good up to 2450*
and I dont know anybody who has had any problems with the 2000 series coating...

I think I paid $$555 + shipping for mine.....and I got the 2000 series coating....